Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Saturday, 20 January, 2001, 17:14 GMT
Leicester see off tame Glasgow
Jamie Hamilton scored one of Leicester's tries
Jamie Hamilton scored one of Leicester's tries
Leicester Tigers 41-26 Glasgow Caledonians

Leicester recovered from a shaky opening period to secure a deserved Heineken Cup win over Glasgow Caledonians at Welford Road.

Needing a victory to ensure a home quarter-final next weekend, the Tigers took control in the second half.

Jamie Hamilton and teenage centre Oliver Smith both got tries before Richard Cockerill sealed the triumph in injury-time.

Leicester started well, Tim Stimpson slotting over his first penalty inside two minutes, the first addition to a points total which finished at 21.

Five-point lead

But with four England men missing, the Tigers were always likely to be vulnerable.

Shaun Longstaff sidestepped his way to the line after taking James McLaren's short pass to bring Glasgow back into the game.

Leicester hooker Dorian West drove over from a typical Tigers' close range line-out move after Tommy Hayes had given the visitors a seven-point lead, adding a penalty to the conversion of Longstaff's try.

Hayes added two more penalties - the second from the halfway line - to put his team in front again, although Leicester replied before the interval.

Scrum-half Jamie Hamilton wriggled his way over and a Stimpson conversion and penalty from inside his own half gave the Tigers a five-point lead at the break.

Stimpson increased the lead to two scores for the first time with a penalty.

The Scottish side's work was almost entirely defensive as Leicester mounted a concerted assault on their opponents' line.

Tommy Hayes was in good form for the Reds
Tommy Hayes was in good form for the Reds
Oliver Smith blew a scoring chance by knocking-on under the Glasgow posts.

But the 18-year-old did not wait long to make amends, skipping in from close range, Stimpson adding the conversion.

The score almost certainly ended the visitors hopes and when skipper Andy Nicol was sin-binned on the hour for deliberately killing the ball, the Reds visibly sagged.

Stimpson landed yet another penalty from 30 metres, only for replacement winger Alan Bulloch to mark his entrance with a try for the Reds to briefly raise their hopes of a dramatic comeback.

When Gordon Simpson added another two minutes from time, the Reds really were back in it.

But Leicester launched one more drive and Cockerill emerged with the ball and the plaudits after scoring his team's fourth try.

Leicester: Stimpson, Murphy, Smith, Howard, Stanley, Goode, Hamilton, Freshwater, West, Garforth, Deacon, Kay, W. Johnson, Moody, Corry.

Replacements: Grindal, Gelderbloom, Balding, Newmarch, Rowntree, Cockerill, Short.

Glasgow: Shepherd, Steel, McLaren, Stewart, Longstaff, Hayes, Nicol, Hilton, G. Bulloch, McIlwham, White, Griffiths, Simpson, MacFadyen, Petrie.

Replacements: Di Ciacca, Watt, Campbell, Reid, Stott, A. Bulloch, Craig.

Referee: Antonio Lombardi (Italy)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Heineken Cup

For a preview of the teams and pools, select from the menu below and click go!

Heineken teams look to quarter-finals
Europe takes shape

See also:

21 Jan 01 |  Heineken Cup
Heineken action hots up
21 Jan 01 |  Heineken Cup
Late Pau burst sees them through
19 Jan 01 |  Scotland
Telfer wants more pro teams
Links to top Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top