BBC Sport golf

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:32 GMT, Monday, 10 May 2010 21:32 UK

No link between neck injury and car crash, says Woods

Tiger Woods is drien off the course by Joe Corless, head of security for the PGA Tour
Woods was driven off the course after his injury forced him out of the event

Tiger Woods says there is no link between the neck injury that forced him to pull out of the Players Championship and the car crash he had in November.

The 14-time major champion was admitted to hospital after the crash last year and was out of action for five months because of a damaging sex scandal.

When asked if his neck problem was related to the crash, Woods said there was "zero connection, absolutely zero".

And referring to his future schedule he admitted "a lot is up in the air".

However, Woods revealed that he wants to defend his title at the Memorial tournament next month, and play the US Open at Pebble Beach later in June.

The 34-year-old crashed his car into a fire hydrant outside his Florida home on 27 November 2009, with the incident sparking a series of revelations about the American's private life that led him to admit he had "had affairs and cheated".

"It's possible one of the reasons I think this thing flared up is because I wasn't conditioned to it," said Woods.

"I'd been away from the game for such a long time, then came back and ramped up really quickly in order to try and play the Masters. The body wasn't quite ready for that.

"I'm trying everything I can to get back as soon as I can."

IAIN CARTER'S BLOG

On Sunday on the seventh hole of the final round of the Players Championship, Woods called over an official after his tee-shot and although he hit his second shot, he then shook hands with partner Jason Bohn and left the course.

Woods, who was playing only his third event since returning after admitting marital infidelity, was two over par for the day and two under overall.

"I've been playing with a bad neck for about a month," said Woods on Sunday.

"I've been playing through it. I can't play through it any more. I'm having a hard time with the pain - there's tingling down my fingers.

"Setting up over the ball is fine, but once I start making the motion it's downhill from there."

The world number one said he first felt the injury before last month's Masters at Augusta and now plans to have an MRI scan.

"They want me to go get a picture on it next week. I might have a bulging disc," he added.

Woods stretched and rolled his neck between shots during the first three days at the Players Championship but when asked after the third round whether he had any injury concerns, he replied: "No, zero. Absolutely 100%."

He was tied for 45th going into the final round after scores of 70-71-71.

Woods last withdrew from a tournament at the Nissan Open in 2006, when he narrowly made the cut but pulled out of the final two rounds because of flu.



Print Sponsor


see also
Golfer Woods hurt in US car crash
28 Nov 09 |  Golf
Westwood maintains Sawgrass lead
09 May 10 |  Golf
Woods back on track at Sawgrass
06 May 10 |  Golf
Woods prepared for rankings blow
05 May 10 |  Golf
Woods to compete in Players event
21 Apr 10 |  Golf
Golf on the BBC
01 Jul 11 |  Golf


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.