Levet feels he has a chance of springing a surprise at Turnberry
Thomas Levet has been given a last-minute call-up to play at the Open Championship after Brett Quigley decided not to compete at Turnberry.
The American won the final qualifying spot at the John Deere Classic on Sunday but has opted to play in a USPGA Tour event in Milwaukee instead.
Australian John Senden has also been added to the field after Jeev Miklha withdrew with a rib injury.
The Indian has been suffering with a torn muscle for two months.
He made the decision to withdraw after playing 18 holes on Monday.
"When I was taking deep breaths, it was also hurting and when that happens you know it's back," said the 2008 Asian number one.
"I'm only 60% fit and I don't want to play a major championship in that condition.
"My game is good but I just don't want to take any chances this week."
Senden took Levet's place at the top of the reserve list after the Frenchman replaced Quigley on Monday.
Levet was disqualified from last month's qualifier at Sunningdale after signing an incorrect scorecard.
The Open, which starts on Thursday, will be without Phil Mickelson, Trevor Immelman, Robert Karlsson and Tim Wilkinson who all pulled out last week, while Japan's Shingo Katayama withdrew on Sunday.
Levet, who lost out to Ernie Els in a five-hole playoff for the Open at Muirfield in 2002, is ranked 82nd in the world and had been unaware he was so high up the reserve list for Turnberry.
There are five players ahead of him in the world rankings - Australian Aaron Baddeley and Americans Fred Couples, Pat Perez, Kevin Na and Mark Wilson - who would have taken Quigley's place if only they had either entered for the Open or not withdrawn from qualifying events.
"I think I've got a chance," said Levet after being told that he was in the field for Turnberry. "I'm playing well and I hit the ball low, which you need to do at the Open.
"I still knew I could get in by playing well at either the French or Scottish Opens, but I didn't realise until last Thursday that I was high up on the reserve list."
Quigley's decision not to travel to Scotland was partly based on the fact that he is due to attend a memorial service on Tuesday for the wife of fellow player Chris Smith, who was killed in a car crash three weeks ago.
"My heart's not into playing the British," he said. "I know that sounds crazy for a major, the Open at Turnberry, and I love the golf over there.
"There are a million reasons to go - I just feel like it's going to be better for me to go to Milwaukee and go with my family," he said.
England's Ross Fisher could yet join the Open withdrawals as his wife is expecting their baby this week.
Fisher, who finished eighth at the Scottish Open, insists he will leave the Open the moment he has any news that the baby is coming.
"I'm looking forward to the Open and it's the most important tournament I will play in a calendar year, but what will be will be," he said.
"It would be great to play and the ideal would be to two-putt to win next Sunday, make a short winner's speech and then fly home.
"But there are plenty more Opens. I will be straight out whatever day it is - it's something I don't want to miss and I'm sure it's something Jo doesn't want me to miss."