BBC Sport golf

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:39 GMT, Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Ballesteros leaves intensive care

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

Archive - Seve career retrospective

Golf legend Seve Ballesteros has left the intensive care unit where he has been treated since 14 October after having surgery on a brain tumour.

The 51-year-old Spaniard was initially admitted to hospital having lost consciousness at Madrid's international airport on 6 October.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumour and underwent surgery three times.

"He is continuing his rehabilitation and is receiving restricted visits," said Madrid's La Paz Hospital.

"Severiano Ballesteros has left the intensive care unit and has now changed ward.

"Although this is good news, I would like to ask for everyone's patience - because the process is a lengthy one, and there is still a long way to go."

606: MESSAGES
mossy1972

Earlier this month Ballesteros spoke to his family for the first time since his latest operation, to remove a tumour and reduce brain swelling, on 24 October.

The 51-year-old won 87 titles during his career, including the Open in 1979, 1984 and 1988 and the Masters in 1980 and 1983.

Ballesteros was suffering from an oligoastrocytoma, a tumour composed of two types of brain cell which spreads inside the brain cavity.

He retired from golf last year following arthritic back and knee problems, while doctors discovered an irregular heartbeat when he was admitted to hospital in 2007.

"With the help of God, the neurosurgeons and their teams, and those who are keeping watch over his state of health at the intensive care unit, we trust with unquestioning faith Seve will come out successfully from this hardship," said his family in a statement on Ballesteros's website.

Ballesteros is expected to stay at the Madrid hospital to continue his rehabilitation for some time.

Print Sponsor


see also
Wishing Seve well
20 Oct 08 |  Golf
Seve's career in photos
16 Jul 07 |  Golf


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER SPORT SITES
Glasgow Herald Seve out of intensive care - 1 hr ago
Washington PostBallesteros out of intensive care - 1 hr ago
The Times Seve Ballesteros out of intensive care - 2 hrs ago
Sky Sports Seve out of intensive care - 2 hrs ago
The Sun SEVE BALLESTEROS could be moved out of intensive care as soon as next week - 43 hrs ago
* Requires registration


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.