BBC Sports Unsung Hero
Terms and Conditions:
1. Any UK resident (incl. Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) aged 16 or over, is eligible to be nominated, except previous winners of the BBC Sports Unsung Hero Awards, BBC employees and any person connected to the awards competition and their close relatives. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
2. The nominee must: (i) be either an individual or no more than two people who are both involved in the same sporting activity (ii) help amateurs participate in a sports activity, (iii) offer help that does not form part of their job or take place at their place of work (iv) help voluntarily with no financial reward and (v) have consented to be nominated.
3. Nominations can be made by accessing www.bbc.co.uk/sportsunsunghero and/or the relevant regional web pages from Monday, 19 September 2011 and must be received no later than 11.59pm on Sunday, 30 October 2011.
4. Persons making nominations must be aged over 16 and be UK residents. Only one nomination is permitted per person. On the form nominators should declare any professional or personal relationship with the person or people nominated.
5. The BBC will appoint a representative in each of the 12 English Regions, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland who will shortlist no more than 10 nominees for that region. The short-listing criteria will be (i) The extent of the nominees' contribution at grassroots level of their sport, (ii) the range and number of people helped, (iii) the impact on their local community, and (iv) the personal sacrifices or commitment made.
6. A regional judging panel consisting of both BBC and non-BBC judges will then select a BBC Sports Unsung Hero winner for each region, from those shortlisted, based on the criteria above. The 15 regional winners will be put forward for, and become eligible for, the overall BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award.
7. A national judging panel will select the overall winner and 2 runners up from the 15 regional winners based on the aforementioned criteria, any supporting documentation and a short BBC film about each of the regional winners. It is intended that the panel will consist of leading sports figures, representatives from the BBC and a previous BBC Sports Unsung Hero winner dependent on availability.
8. The overall winner will be announced on Thursday, 22 December 2011 on BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2011 on BBC ONE.
9. The judges' decision as to the winner is final. No correspondence relating to the awards will be entered into.
10. The regional winners will each receive a regional BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award 2011 Trophy and the national winner will receive the national BBC Sports Unsung Hero Award 2011 Trophy. There are no cash alternatives and the award cannot be sold or transferred in any circumstances.
11. Nominees must agree to take part in any post-award publicity if required.
12. The BBC reserves the right to:
(i) vary the opening and closing times for making nominations and to vary the date of the announcement of the awards;
(ii) disqualify any nominee who breaches the rules or has acted fraudulently in any way; and (iii) cancel or vary the awards or any of the selection processes or criteria, at any stage, if in its opinion it is deemed necessary or if circumstances arise outside its control.
13. The BBC, its sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem which may result in any nomination not being properly registered.
15. Nominators and Nominees will be deemed to have accepted these rules and agree to be bound by them.