Athletes given more than a six-month ban for doping will be banned from the next Olympics, the International Olympic Association has said.
Rogge has long held a firm stance against athletes caught doping
The move was announced by IOC president Jacques Rogge on the eve of the World Athletics Championships in Osaka.
Rogge also backed calls for a compulsory four-year ban for drug offences in any sport.
Only a plea-bargain involving useful information in the fight against cheats could save athletes from the ban.
"If an athlete reveals who gave him the [blood-boosting drug] EPO for example, who was behind it, was it the doctor or coach etcetera. If he tells of other cases, if the information is very valuable then we might consider reducing the penalty," he said.
Flanked by world athletics body (IAAF) chairman Lamine Diack, Rogge underlined the IOC's commitment to rid sport of drug cheats.
"The fight against doping in sport is a daily battle which must be fought in concert by the sports authorities, sports teams, athletes, coaches and governments," he said.
"The measures that we have reviewed today aim to reinforce the IOC's zero-tolerance policy."
The world championships get under way on Saturday, with athletics keen to repair a reputation badly hit by recent doping scandals, including last year's failed test by world and Olympic 100 metres title-holder Justin Gatlin.