Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Five Live's Nigel Turner
With a round up of the action
 real 14k

Bristol Rovers manager Ian Holloway
"I can't wait to see it on video"
 real 14k

banner Wednesday, 27 September, 2000, 22:02 GMT 23:02 UK
Rovers dump Everton out on penalties
Bristol Rovers v Everton
Rovers' Nathan Ellington causes havoc in the Everton defence
Bristol Rovers 1-1 Everton (Agg 2-2), 4-2 on penalties

Kevin Campbell failed from the spot as Everton were dumped out of the Worthington Cup by brave Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Ground.

Campbell's miss proved crucial as Rovers emerged 4-2 victors in the shoot-out after Joe Max Moore and Nathan Ellington had missed for each side.

It was little more than the Pirates deserved after starting off poorly, but then dominating the rest of the contest and it was Everton who were the more relieved to take the tie into the lottery of penalty kicks.

Francis Jeffers had given the Premiership visitors the lead with the first chance of the match after 13 minutes, springing a fragile offside trap to roll the ball past Nicky Culkin after Thomas Gravesen had provided the defence-splitting pass.

The young striker's evening was destined to end in agony though as he went over on his ankle following a penalty area tussle with Scott Jones towards the end of the first half and was immediately carried off.

But, after offering virtually nothing before the interval, Rovers seized the initiative immediately after it.

They had already taken a stranglehold in midfield when Scott Jones released

Nathan Ellington into space behind the Everton defence. Paul Gerrard did well to save the initial shot but he could only parry it into the path of the onrushing Marcus Bignot, the Rovers skipper lashing gleefully into the empty net.

Everton arrived minus Paul Gascoigne, whom manager Walter Smith decided not to risk through a combination of tiredness, a calf strain and miserable weather.

The dismal conditions, consisting of freezing temperatures, howling wind and driving rain, were enough to put the most hardy supporter off but the only spaces in the ground were in the visitors enclosure.

Seconds into extra-time Gravesen should have put Everton in front but instead blasted against Culkin's legs after being put clean through.

But Rovers enjoyed the best of the opening 15 minute period, Ellington twice going close and Latvian skipper Vitalijs Astafjevs denied by Gerrard's smart save.

Ellington also wasted the final chance of the match, blazing over from eight yards when tiredness was starting to take hold.

Bristol Rovers: Culkin, Bignot, Jones, Andreasson, Bryant, Wilson, Foster, Hogg, Astafjevs, Ellis, Ellington. Subs: Foran, Meaker, Plummer, Glennon, Walters.

Everton: Gerrard, S. Watson, Dunne, Unsworth, Nyarko, Alexandersson, S. Hughes, Gravesen, Jeffers, Moore, M. Hughes. Subs: Simonsen, Gemmill, Campbell, Ball, Cleland.

Referee: P Durkin (Dorset)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top