Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Results &  Fixtures 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 

Around The Uk

BBC Five Live's Steve May
With a round up of the action
 real 14k

Millwall boss Ray Harford
"I'm pleased with our performance"
 real 14k

banner Tuesday, 26 September, 2000, 22:42 GMT 23:42 UK
Ipswich 5-0 Millwall (Agg: 5-2)
George Burley
George Burley saw his side fight back
Gallant Millwall came within three minutes of overcoming Premiership Ipswich but were eventually overrun in extra-time in a full-blooded Worthington Cup second-round tie at Portman Road.

The Second Division side were by then reduced to nine men following two sendings-off - but they defended manfully and looked for much of the match as though they might protect their two-goal advantage from the first leg.

Visiting goalkeeper Tony Warner was the Millwall hero as the Lions fought bravely in their first match since Mark McGhee took over as manager.

Warner saved a 28th-minute penalty from Jim Magilton when he dived at the foot of his right-hand post.

Joe Dolan was sent off for bringing down Martijn Reuser to concede the spot-kick. He had previously been booked and received his second yellow card.

Ipswich attacked at will with Millwall blocking the shots that rained in and letting Ipswich come forward until they reached the penalty area.

In the 73rd minute Steven Reid was sent off for a high tackle on Titus Bramble, stacking the odds even more against the visitors.

Two minutes later Ipswich's pressure eventually paid off when David Johnson scored his first goal of the season with a long-range header from a John McGreal cross.

Millwall still looked like holding out as Ipswich brought on Slovenian international Amir Karic for his debut as substitute in the 68th minute.

But Bramble headed Ipswich level on aggregate in the 87th minute from a rebound after Matt Holland had struck a header against the bar.

The game went into extra-time - but not before Ipswich goalkeeper Richard Wright made a fine save to deny Tim Cahill in the 90th minute.

Holland scored one minute into extra-time, and the floodgates opened.

Ipswich had 28 corners which showed their superiority, with Holland driving home from 18 yards in the 91st minute.

Almost a quarter-of-an-hour later Jim Magilton drove in a deflected fourth goal with the ball coming off Sean Dyche.

The scoring was rounded off five minutes from the end when Ipswich outnumbered Millwall for the umpteenth time, and Magilton crossed for Johnson to head home his second goal of the night.

The match ended in controversy when Millwall assistant manager Ray Harford withdrew two of his players before the end.

Cahill and Christophe Kinet were both carrying knocks, but referee Andy Hall held up play to force Millwall to bring the first-named back on for the final stages.

Ipswich: R. Wright, Wilnis, Clapham, Bramble, McGreal, Hreidarsson, Holland, Magilton, Scowcroft, Reuser, Johnson. Subs: Salmon, Naylor, Karic, Scales, J. Wright.

Millwall: Warner, Lawrence, Ryan, Cahill, Nethercott, Dolan, Ifill, Livermore, Harris, Reid, Kinet. Subs: Gueret, Odunsi, Dyche, Gilkes, Braniff.

Referee: A Hall (Birmingham)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top