Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Results &  Fixtures 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 

Around The Uk

banner Tuesday, 19 September, 2000, 23:10 GMT 00:10 UK
Preston 1-3 Coventry
Ysrael Zuniga
Ysrael Zuniga is a proven goalscorer for Peru
Coventry had a man sent off but survived to come away from Deepdale with a 3-1 advantage after their Worthington Cup second-round first-leg clash with Preston.

Peruvian international Ysrael Zuniga, taking the place of Cedric Roussel in the Sky Blues attack, netted after just four minutes and Marcus Hall made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time.

Graham Alexander put Preston back in the game and although Williams was dismissed just after the hour for a second yellow card, the hosts could not make their advantage count and Gavin Strachan got a third from the spot with five minutes to go.

The warning signs were there when Preston skipper Sean Gregan headed away a dangerous cross from Youssef Chippo with Craig Bellamy closing in on goal.

Firm header

But the home defence was no where to be seen a couple of minutes later when Zuniga was given space in the six-yard box to meet a cross from Mustapha Hadji to fire a header into the far corner.

North End did not lie down, however, and a fumble from Magnus Hedman almost let in Mark Rankine before Brian McBride pulled his 15-yard effort just wide.

But after a few half-chances, Hadji was the provider for Coventry's second. His deep corner was only partially cleared and Hall drilled the ball through a crowded penalty area and into the bottom corner.

The home side were back in the game just two minutes after the restart in controversial fashion.

Basham's cross caused all sorts of problems for the Coventry defence and in the scramble that ensued, Williams slid in with Paul McKenna and referee Jeff Winter pointed to the spot for shirt-pulling by the Coventry man. Graham Alexander kept his cool to send Hedman the wrong way.

It could well have been two goals in a minute, but somehow Cartwright failed to make a clean connection when he was picked out on the six-yard box by McBride.

Fired wide

Zuniga then fired wide from 10 yards after drawing the keeper, but the visitors found themselves reduced to 10 men just after the hour.

Cartwright chased a ball down the right with Williams in pursuit. The players' momentum took them out of play and as the Preston winger tried to get back and pick up the loose ball, Williams threw out an arm and, after consultation with his assistant, the referee had no option but to show him a second yellow card.

But as the home side pressed hard for the equaliser, they were caught with a classic counter attack from the Premiership side on 85 minutes.

Hadji played a throughball to sub John Aloisi and his pace took him into the box where he was cut down by Appleton for a clear penalty.

Another substitute Gavin Strachan, son of manager Gordon, sent Lucas the wrong way and put Coventry in the driving seat to reach the next round.

Preston North End: Lucas, Alexander, Edwards, Gregan, Murdock, Cartwright, Appleton, Rankine, McKenna, McBride, Basham.
Subs: O'Hanlon, Jackson, Eyres, Robinson, Parkinson.

Coventry City: Hedman, Edworthy, Hall, Williams, Shaw, Palmer, Eustace, Chippo, Hadji, Zuniga, Bellamy. Subs: Telfer, Kirkland, Strachan, Breen, Aloisi.

Referee: J Winter (Stockton-on-Tees).

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top