Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Results &  Fixtures 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 

Around The Uk

banner Tuesday, 19 September, 2000, 23:26 GMT 00:26 UK
Norwich 3-3 Blackpool
Steve Walsh
Steve Walsh had an eventful Norwich debut
Norwich striker Iwan Roberts missed an injury-time penalty as an enthralling match ended 3-3 at Carrow Road.

Battling Blackpool had only just equalised themselves through John Murphy's second goal of the night after when his colleague Lee Collins was adjudged to have brought down Darel Russell in the area.

But much to the relief of the visitors, Roberts smashed his spot-kick against the crossbar to leave the tie delicately poised for the second leg at Bloomfield Road in a week's time.

Norwich's previous four home games had produced just one goal but that all changed during a thrilling spell in the first half as five goals arrived in the space of 22 minutes.

After a low-key opening, Norwich went ahead from the spot as Roberts sent keeper Phil Barnes the wrong way after the Welsh striker had been fouled by Tangerines' skipper Ian Hughes.


Blackpool, who belied their low position all night by playing some excellent football, were back on level terms six minutes later as Murphy turned neatly in the six yard box before finding the corner of the net.

But straight from the kick off Norwich restored their advantage as Steen Nedergaard's high cross from the right was headed onto the bar by Roberts and the ball dropped kindly for Lee Marshall to nod into an empty net.

Norwich appeared to have given themselves breathing space after 42 minutes when Roberts chipped the ball over the advanging Barnes and Tony Cottee was on hand to strike the ball into an empty net.

But Blackpool came storming straight back with and reduced the arrears when Paul Simpson's free kick was headed against the bar by Murphy and Brett Ormerod scored.

The game settled down into a more sedate fashion in the second half before a dramatic finale. Steve McMahon's side equalised after 86 minutes when Murphy made it eight for the season by heading home Richard Wellens' cross.

Norwich: A. Marshall, Sutch, Derveld, L. Marshall, Fleming, Walsh, McGovern, Russell, Roberts, Cottee. Subs: Nedergaard, Forbes, Green, Giallanza, De Waard, Mackay.

Blackpool: Barnes, Jaszczun, Bushell, Hughes, J. Murphy, Collins, Coid, Wellens, Jones, Ormerod, Simpson. Subs: Milligan, Clarkson, Nowland, Rachel, N. Murphy.

Referee: M Brandwood (Lichfield)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
^^ Back to top