Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
Eng Prem 
FA Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Tuesday, 27 November, 2001, 21:38 GMT
Gunners down Grimsby
Arsenal striker Sylvain Wiltord
Wiltord's second-half goal ended Grimsby's hopes
Arsenal 2-0 Grimsby
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Goals from Edu and Sylvain Wiltord helped Arsenal ease past Grimsby into the last eight of the Worthington Cup.

It also ended a gallant cup run by Grimsby, who defeated a strong Liverpool side in the previous round.

The Premiership side took the lead with their first real attack after just three minutes when Jermaine Pennant crossed to the far post and Edu outjumped Allan Neilsen to head home.

Roared on by their vocal support, Grimsby had their moments, but the outcome was sealed on 74 minutes when Wiltord headed Arsenal's second with Pennant again the provider.

We cannot come to places like this and shoot ourselves in the foot
Lennie Lawrence
The Gunners made 10 changes from the starting line-up in Sunday's 3-1 win over Manchester United for an event which clearly held little interest for them.

Dennis Bergkamp, Wiltord, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Edu and Martin Keown were all fielded in front of Highbury's lowest crowd of the season - just 16,197 despite more than 4,000 Mariners.

Despite the Gunners' flying started though Edu's goal, the home side never seriously troubled Grimsby goalkeeper Danny Coyne again in a sterile first period.

Bergkamp and van Bronckhorst strolled through the first half, while Junichi Inamoto, the 4m Japanese midfielder in his first senior start, looked desperately short of sharpness and confidence

Inamoto's mistake forced Martin Keown to make a last-ditch interception on the edge of the box to prevent Bradley Allen going clear in search of a 28th-minute equaliser.

Grimsby, third-bottom of the First Division after a dismal run of 15 games which have included just one win, came out fighting in the second half and Arsenal were made to work for their win

But the visitors lacked the finishing flair needed to embarrass their hosts and finally 16 minutes from the end Wiltord confirmed their passage into the next round.

Arsenal: Taylor, Edu, Keown, Stepanovs, Maldondo-Duarte, van Bronckhorst, Inamoto, Tavlaridis, Pennant, Bergkamp, Wiltord. Subs: Kanu, Aliadiere, Halls, Stack, Svard.

Grimsby: Coyne, Broomes, Neilson, Burnett, Campbell, Groves, Butterfield, Willems, Allen, Jevons, Chapman. Subs: David Smith, Raven, Coldicott, Ermes, Boulding.

Referee: D Gallagher (Oxfordshire).

BBC Sport's Steve Wilson reports
"Any more Arsenal goals would have been hard on Grimsby"
Links to more Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top