Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Football: Worthington Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Scottish Cup 
World Cup 2002 
Eng Prem 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Worthington Cup 
Scot Prem 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
CIS Ins Cup 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC Sport's Steve Wilson
reports from Upton Park
 real 14k

Wednesday manager Paul Jewell
"West Ham will feel hard done by"
 real 14k

banner Wednesday, 29 November, 2000, 21:45 GMT
Hammers humbled by Wednesday
Rigobert Song
Rigobert Song had an unhappy Hammers' debut
West Ham 1-2 Sheff Wed

Sheffield Wednesday's improving season gathered further momentum with a surprise win over their Premiership hosts.

West Ham's 3-2 win at Southampton on Saturday had appeared to ease the pain of Rio Ferdinand's departure to Leeds.

But the Hammers defence went to sleep at Upton Park as they conceded goals to Owen Morrison and Ashley Westwood.

Frank Lampard did pull a goal back, but it was not enough to alter West Ham's poor recent record in cup competitions.

Wednesday took the lead after 29 minutes, completely against the run of play.

You would expect us to beat Sheffield Wednesday and we should have beaten them
  West Ham manager Harry Redknapp

A long clearance was flicked on by Efan Ekoku into the right back channel and new signing Rigobert Song seemed to go missing.

That left top scorer Morrison in space and he coolly slipped the ball between Shaka Hislop's legs for his sixth goal of the season.

It was Wednesday's first shot on target, but how the and they hit West Ham again three minutes into the second half, when Westwood rose unchallenged on the edge of the six-yard box to head home Morrison's right-wing corner.


Lampard scored with a well-placed half-volley after 71 minutes, and Wednesday survived a late Hammers' onslaught to book a quarter-final showdown with Birmingham.

Paolo di Canio had proved a thorn in the side of his former club creating a number of chances but Wednesday survived.

West Ham had plenty of possession but could not make it count.

Frustration grew and tempers flared when Gerald Sibon was booked after 64 minutes for a foul on Stuart Pearce who chased him along the touchline.

We rode our luck because we had three shots and scored two goals
  Paul Jewell, Sheffield Wednesday

That lit the fuse for a flare-up a minute later which started with skipper Steve Lomas reacting to a foul on him.

Di Canio headed the melee which saw 22 players squaring up on the edge of the Wednesday box, and at the end of it referee Paul Danson booked Di Canio, Tony Crane and Alan Quinn.

After Lampard's lifeline West Ham laid siege to the Wednesday goal.

But their fortune was summed up when Kanoute should have equalised in the final seconds but glanced his header wide.

West Ham: Hislop, S. Pearce, Winterburn, Song, Stimac, Lomas, Sinclair, Lampard, Carrick, Di Canio, Kanoute. Subs: Bywater, Potts, Suker, Keller, Moncur.

Sheff Wed: Pressman, Haslam, Walker, Quinn, Lescott, Westwood, Ekoku, Geary, Morrison, Crane, Stringer. Subs: Hamshaw, Di Piedi, Humphreys, Booth, Sibon.

Referee: P Danson (Leicester)

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
Links to top Worthington Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Worthington Cup stories

^^ Back to top