Capello's England won only one of four games at the World Cup
Fabio Capello is to continue as England manager despite England's unsuccessful World Cup campaign, the Football Association has announced.
The Italian, 64, found himself under pressure after England's tournament ended with a 4-1 defeat by Germany.
On Monday Capello was told he would learn his fate in two weeks, only to be given full FA backing four days later.
"We remain convinced that Fabio is the best man for the job," said Club England chairman Sir Dave Richards.
Capello, whose contract runs until Euro 2012 and is worth a reported £6m a year, has hinted that some of the players who underperformed in South Africa might find themselves replaced as he looks to blood younger players during the upcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers.
"I can assure the fans I am now fully focused on our European qualifying fixtures, starting with the friendly against Hungary in August," he stated.
"We will look to introduce new players to give the team new energy and I will use all my experience to take England forward.
"I am extremely proud to be the England manager, it means so much to me and I am determined to succeed."
Capello has previously championed the talents of, among others, Arsenal's 18-year-old midfielder Jack Wilshere, 19-year-old Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell and 22-year-old Manchester City winger Adam Johnson and they could come into a squad that, at 28.7 years, had a higher average age than any other in South Africa.
The make-up of the squad had been only one of a number of criticisms aimed at the former AC Milan manager as his position had appeared to be in the balance after his side were humbled by Germany to end a World Cup campaign that never truly got going.
In the immediate aftermath of the exit there were calls for a new man to take charge, with
former England captain Alan Shearer among those suggesting Capello would be replaced
by the time England face Hungary in August.
However, Capello stated that he was keen to remain in the post at a media conference on Monday and, with senior FA members including David Sheepshanks and Phil Gartside publicly backing him this week, the association has decided Capello is still the right man for the job.
"We are all still extremely disappointed at our performance in South Africa, and we believed it was important that we took some time to reflect on everything in a calm and considered manner back in England," Richards added.
"He went into the World Cup with a reputation as one of world football's finest managers and we are confident Fabio will benefit from his first international tournament experience and this will undoubtedly make us all stronger for the Euro 2012 campaign."
The FA's decision may have been influenced by Capello's impressive performance prior to the World Cup, with England winning all their competitive fixtures until qualification had been ensured - including an aggregate score of 9-2 against Croatia in two games against them.
On the back of that record, and with speculation he might take the then-vacant Inter Milan job after the World Cup, Capello was given a new contract, minus an exit clause, that ran until 2012 - a decision that was retrospectively criticised in some quarters as England struggled in South Africa.
Had the FA chosen to part company with Capello it would have been forced to pay him a hefty compensation package, bringing back painful memories of the severance deal it was forced to pay to former boss Sven Goran Eriksson in 2006.
There was a tabloid clamour for Capello to be replaced by an Englishman - an about turn that failed when Steve McClaren was installed post-Eriksson and promptly missed out on qualifying for Euro 2008.
But when Roy Hodgson left Fulham to become Liverpool boss on Thursday, it left few viable English options as potential alternatives to Capello.