BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: Uefa Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

  Thursday, 3 October, 2002, 22:03 GMT 23:03 UK
Rangers crash out
Marcel Licka scores Viktoria Zizkov's crucial goal
Marcel Licka scores Viktoria Zizkov's crucial goal
Rangers 3-1 Viktoria Zizkov aet (Agg: 3-3)
Viktoria Zizkov win on away goals

E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Rangers tumbled out of the Uefa Cup after a frantic finish to this European tie.

Ronald de Boer scored twice to take the tie into extra time and Neil McCann put Rangers in front on aggregate.

But the visitors' substitute Marcel Licka got the vital goal to put his side through.

The referee appeared to award Rangers a penalty in the dying minutes, but despite sending Jan Buryan off, the ref then changed his mind, awarding only a corner.

The opening exchanges were relatively even, with both sides earning a number of corners without creating clear-cut chances.

  Key moments
43 mins Ronald de Boer gives Rangers the lead
59 mins: De Boer doubles the lead
97 mins: Neil McCann makes it 3-0
100 mins: Marcel Licka gets the crucial away goal
Klos had to save Ales Pikl's shot on the turn before Bert Konterman saw a long-ranger bounce off a defender.

De Boer had an incredible miss after 23 minutes when Arveladze escaped the attentions of Antonin Mlejnsky to cross from the left, but the Dutchman blazed over with the goal at his mercy.

Michal Smarda almost broke the deadlock with a free kick that was heading for the top corner until Klos pulled off a magnificent save to tip the ball over.

But Rangers took the lead in the 43rd minute when Ricksen's pass found Arveladze inside the box.

The Georgian was challenged and the ball broke to De Boer to lash past Kucera.

After the break, De Boer almost got in on the act again but Klimpl took the ball off his toe at the last second.

Arveladze then headed a Lovenkrands cross over but De Boer finally made it 2-0 in the 59th minute.

De Boer celebrates his first goal
Ronald de Boer scored twice for Rangers
Ricksen's ball from the right flank down the inside right channel was perfect for Arveladze and though Kucera got a hand to his shot, De Boer was on hand to score.

In the 85th minute, De Boer was denied a hat-trick by the crossbar when he rose to head an Arteta cross from the left past Kucera.

The game headed into extra time and McCann, on for Lovenkrands, gave Rangers the initiative with a third goal in the 98th minute.

Arteta sent De Boer away down the right and the Dutchman crossed for the substitute to despatch with his right foot.

But within seconds of Zizkov sub Marcel Licka coming on for Chihuri, he scored a crucial away goal.

Rangers failed to deal with a cross from the left and Licka took a touch before drilling a low shot past Klos.

Magnificent save

Arveladze sent McCann clear for a great chance to win the tie but Kucera came off his line to deflect the shot over.

There was an almighty scramble in the Zizkov box and Kucera saved at point-blank range from Caniggia before the Argentine saw a header cleared off the line by Buryan.

Rangers' next attack turned into a goal-line melee and then an Amoruso volley produced a magnificent save from Kucera.

Moore went down in the box as the players waited for a corner and, following consultation with a linesman, Buryan was dismissed for his second bookable offence, but no penalty was given.

In stoppage time Klos came up for a corner and his header brought out another save from Kucera as Rangers' hopes died.

Rangers: Klos, Moore, Konterman, Amoruso, Ricksen, Ferguson, Arteta, Numan, de Boer, Arveladze, Lovenkrands.

Subs: McGregor, Caniggia, McCann, Dodds, Muscat, Latapy, Ross.

Zizkov: Kucera, Buryan, Mlejnsky, Klimpl, Smarda, Scasny, Sabou, Pikl, Janousek, Chihuri, Straceny.

Subs: Vacek, Novotny, Mikulik, Kroty, Dirnbach, Chvatal, Licka.

Referee: Athanassios Briakos (Greece)

BBC Five Live's Roddy Forsyth reports
"You could not have made it up"
Rangers boss Alex McLeish
"It was agony, absolute agony"

2nd leg matches

1st leg match reports


Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Top Uefa Cup stories now:

Links to more Uefa Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Uefa Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales