BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: Uefa Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

  Tuesday, 1 October, 2002, 17:30 GMT 18:30 UK
Dons dumped out of Europe
Michael Preetz is congratulated by goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly
Michael Preetz scored a late winner for Hertha
Hertha Berlin 1-0 Aberdeen (Agg: 1-0)

Aberdeen failed to capitalise on Hertha Berlin's indiscipline and lost their chance of a first victory on German soil.

Hertha eventually made their pressure tell two minutes from the end of the Uefa Cup first-round, second leg tie when captain Michael Preetz came off the bench to head home a deserved winner.

But the home side had been reduced to 10 men when midfielder Andreas Neuendorf, known as Zecke, was shown a red card by referee Grzegorz Gilewski for a head butt during an explosive goalless first half.

Aberdeen could not retain enough possession to take advantage against a side struggling in the Bundesliga.

Zecke is sent off by the referee after a head butt
Hertha's Zecke was shown the red card
And, when Eric Deloumeaux, was sent off midway through the second half, the Germans once again took control until the introduction of the man who has topped Hertha's scoring charts in four of the last five seasons gave them victory.

Aberdeen's French striker, Laurent D'Jaffo, passed a late fitness test.

But Scotland international Kevin McNaughton was out injured and young defender Kevin Rutkiewicz made his first start in five months at right-back.

Hertha coach Huub Stevens surprised everyone by leaving Preetz on the bench.

Aberdeen were under pressure from the start and had a lucky escape in the 18th minute when defender Phillip McGuire slipped, allowing Marcelinho a free run on the right flank.

When the Brazilian's cross came into the box, the unmarked Luizao looked certain to score from only eight yards out, but goalkeeper Peter Kjaer blocked brilliantly to save a certain goal.

Hertha won a string of corners and defender Dick van Burik's header from 10 yards hit the top of the bar.

The home side were reduced to 10 men after Goor was booked for a foul on Darren Mackie.

Laurent D'Jaffo climbs above Hertha's Marko Rehmer
No way through for Dons' Laurent D'Jaffo
A melee ensued during which Zecke head-butted McGuire.

The 2,000 travelling fans in the 30,000-strong crowd were given some heart as Hertha struggled to match their first-half possession after the break.

But Aberdeen failed to put sufficient pressure on the home goalkeeper and lost their one-man advantage after 65 minutes when Deloumeaux was rightly shown his second yellow card for a late, lunging tackle.

Luizao's neat back-heel gave Hertha an immediate chance to take advantage, but Marcelinho side-footed his drive wide from 16 yards.

Aberdeen finally exerted a bit of pressure of their own with eight minutes remaining and Russell Anderson had a header cleared off the Hertha line from a corner kick.

The cross had been taken by substitute Nicolas Fabiano and it was the Frenchman who created the next chance, jinking into the Hertha box and delivering a low drive that was well held by goalkeeper Gabor Kiraly.

But Hertha were peppering the Dons goal with long-range efforts.

And it was a cross into the box by Mercelinho that caught the Aberdeen defence napping as an unchallenged, near-post header by Preetz entered the net from 10 yards.

Hertha Berlin: Kiraly, Rehmer, Van Burik, Friedrich, Hartmann, Pinto, Neuendorf, Marx, Goor, Luizao, Marcelinho. Subs: Lapaczinski, Preetz, Dardai, Tretschok, Maas, Madlung, Fiedler.

Aberdeen: Kjaer, Rutkiewicz, Anderson, McGuire, McAllister, Mackie, Darren Young, Derek Young, Deloumeaux, Bisconti, D'Jaffo. Subs: Mike, Clark, Fabiano, Michie, Payne, Billio, Preece.

Referee: G Gilewski (Poland).

BBC Five Live's Scott Davie
"Aberdeen were always on the back foot"

2nd leg matches

1st leg match reports


See also:

01 Oct 02 | Uefa Cup
17 Sep 02 | Uefa Cup
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Top Uefa Cup stories now:

Links to more Uefa Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Uefa Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales