BBC SPORT Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese

BBC Sport
 You are in: Football: Uefa Cup  
Sport Front Page
FA Cup
Eng Prem
Champions League
Uefa Cup
Eng Div 1
Eng Div 2
Eng Div 3
Eng Conf
Scot Prem
Scottish Cup
Scot Div 1
Scot Div 2
Scot Div 3
League of Wales
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Other Sports
Special Events
Sports Talk
BBC Pundits
TV & Radio
Question of Sport
Photo Galleries
Funny Old Game
Around The UK: 
N Ireland

BBC Sport Academy
BBC News
BBC Weather

  Thursday, 29 August, 2002, 20:20 GMT 21:20 UK
Livi survive late fright
Martin Stocklasa shows determination to challenge Livi's Cherif Toure Maman
Livi struggled to overcome Vaduz determination
Livingston 0-0 Vaduz (Aggregate: 1-1. Livi win on away goals)

Livingston survived a controversial and nail-biting finish to progress successfully into the first round of the Uefa Cup.

Marius Zarn appeared to have scored the winner for Liechtenstein minnows Vaduz with the last kick of the ball.

But the referee had blown the final whistle a split second before and it was Livi who were able to breathe a sigh of relief after winning their first-ever European tie.

Oscar Rubio's strike a fortnight earlier in the Rheinpark Stadion was enough to take Livingston through on the away goals rule.

But the part-time side who play in the Swiss Second Division had given Livi a fright in Liechtenstein and then showed their eagerness early on to grab the vital away goal at the City Stadium.

Vaidotas Slekys unleashed a shot from the right flank and Livi goalkeeper Javier Sanchez Broto only just managed to get a finger-tip to the effort and turn the ball past the post.

Rolando Zarate fired in a free kick at the other end but was denied by a superb save from Romouald Peiser.

Camacho produced a cheeky left-footed volley from 15 yards that fell just wide of the upright as Livi again went close.

The home side almost sneaked the opener just two minutes before the interval when Zarate nodded just wide.

Livi took control after the break and should have taken the lead after 59 minutes.

Camacho exchanged a one-two with Bingham before surging into the area and he looked certain to net from just a few yards out only for Peiser to somehow manage a block.

Quino then ended a superb run with a drive from just inside the 18-yard box, but the ball slid inches wide.

Vaduz midfielder Martin Telser was sent off after 75 minutes for a second bookable offence, but that only spurred the visitors to throw caution to the wind that almost produced a shock winner.

A Brugnoli drive went inches wide then Slekys mis-kicked in front of goal.

Vaduz thought they had won it when midfielder Zarn hammered the ball home after a corner only to fall foul of the whistle.

Livingston: Broto, Brinquin, Rubio, Andrews, Bahoken, Quino, Lovell, Toure-Maman, Camacho, Zarate, Bingham. Subs: McEwan, Dadi, Xausa, Makel, Wilson, Dorado, Bollan.

Vaduz: Peiser, Niederhauser, Brugnoli, Martin Stocklasa, Perez, Telser, Burgmeier, Zarn, Obhafuosa, Merenda, Slekys. Subs: Silva, Walz, Buchel, Polverino, Beck, Michael Stocklasa, Ritter.

Referee: I Novak (Czech Republic).

BBC Five Live's Andy Gillies
"What an extraordinary finish"
Livi manager Jim Leishman
"These things make cup ties exciting"
FC Vaduz' Marius Zarn
"I shot the ball then heard the referee"
See also:

13 Aug 02 | Uefa Cup
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Top Uefa Cup stories now:

Links to more Uefa Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Uefa Cup stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

Sport Front Page | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League |
Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Other Sports |
Special Events | Sports Talk | BBC Pundits | TV & Radio | Question of Sport |
Photo Galleries | Funny Old Game | N Ireland | Scotland | Wales