Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Uefa Cup  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Wednesday, 5 December, 2001, 21:15 GMT
Spot-kick agony for Celtic
Ferrer Mista scores Valencia's winning penalty
Ferrer Mista scores Valencia's winning penalty
Celtic 1-0 Valencia (Agg: 1-1 AET, 4-5 on penalties)

Goal machines Henrik Larsson and Stilian Petrov missed vital penalties as Celtic went out of the Uefa Cup after a thrilling battle with Valencia.

Larsson had cancelled out the Spanish side's 1-0 first-leg lead to level the tie on aggregate.

But he missed the chance to put Celtic into a commanding 3-1 lead in the shoot-out.

Midfielder Petrov had scored many from free kicks this season but also missed from the spot, as did Joos Valgaeren.

Celtic were out and have now failed to stay in European competition beyond Christmas for more than 20 years.

Stilian Petrov misses from the spot
Stilian Petrov misses from the spot
Manager Martin O'Neill had dropped John Hartson in favour of his tried-and-tested front partnership of Larsson and Chris Sutton.

Under-pressure Valencia coach Rafael Benitez had to do without Kily Gonzalez, David Albelda, Miguel Angel Angulo and Francisco Rufete.

Benitez switched to three centre backs instead of a normal back four in an attempt to thwart the expected early onslaught.

He was not disappointed, Petrov found Larsson breaking clear and the Swede's near-post pass was stabbed into the side netting by Sutton.

A free kick provided Valencia with their first chance after half an hour, but Fabian Ayala's drive was beaten away by goalkeeper Robert Douglas.

John Carew came close for Valencia with a clever bicycle kick, but Celtic's Lubo Moravcik squandered the best chance so far after 44 minutes.

The veteran Slovak slipped the ball between the legs of a defender, but he blasted the ball a foot over the bar from the edge of the box with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Henrik Larsson drives home his goal
Henrik Larsson drives home his goal
Larsson pounced just as Valencia looked to have survived until half-time.

Valgaeren poked the ball behind the defence and the Swede side-footed the ball into the far corner from 16 yards.

Pablo Aimar's powerful, 20-yard drive flew just wide and Bobby Petta cleared Gonzalo De Los Santos' header off the line as Valencia hit back after the break.

Larsson missed a glorious chance 10 minutes into extra-time when his attempt from six yards was cleared off the line after a superb run by substitute Alan Thompson.

Hartson came on for fellow substitute Momo Sylla and the Welsh striker's toe-poke from the edge of the box was turned round the post by Canizares.

The Spanish side's goalkeeper went on to be a major stumbling block for Celtic in the penalty shoot-out, with Ferrer Mista slotting home the winner.

Celtic: Douglas, Balde, Mjallby, Valgaeren, Petrov, Lambert, Lennon, Moravcik, Petta, Larsson, Sutton. Subs: Gould, Sylla, McNamara, Thompson, Hartson, Tebily, Maloney.

Valencia: Canizares, Ayala, Aurelio, Pellegrino, Carboni, Djukic, Torres, Vicente, de los Santos, Aimar, Carew. Subs: Palop, Baraja, Salva, Marchena, Sanchez, Angloma, Fagiani.

Referee: Knut-Erik Fisker (Denmark).

BBC Sport's Andy Gilles reports
"An extraordinary night at Celtic ended in despair"
Celtic boss Martin O'Neill
"I'm so proud of the team"
Celtic's Henrik Larsson
"I think we had the better of them"
See also:

22 Nov 01 |  Uefa Cup
Valencia vanquish Celtic
Links to more Uefa Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Uefa Cup stories

^^ Back to top