BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:05 GMT, Friday, 15 January 2010

Harry Redknapp stays silent on tax allegations

Advertisement

Charges haven't affected me - Redknapp

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has refused to comment on allegations of tax evasion, focusing instead on the Premier League game against Hull.

Redknapp, 62, was charged with two counts of tax evasion on Thursday.

The charges relate to payments allegedly made by Milan Mandaric during Redknapp's time as Portsmouth manager.

"I've got an awful lot I'd love to say, believe me, and when the time is right I will say it but I've been advised not to discuss the matter," Redknapp said.

"We've got to concentrate on the Hull game. It's a big game and that is the only thing that is on my mind."

Redknapp was charged with cheating the public revenue of about £40,000 after an exhaustive 26-month police and tax inquiry into alleged corruption in English football.

It relates to two payments totalling $295,000 (£181,400) allegedly made by former Portsmouth chairman Mandaric to Redknapp via a Monaco bank account.

We've got to concentrate on the Hull game - it's a big game and that is the only thing that is on my mind

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp

It is alleged he evaded tax and national insurance contributions between 1 April 2002 and 28 November 2007.

Redknapp, who is due to appear at the City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on 11 February, remains adamant he has done nothing wrong, having previously described the situation as "farcical".

The charges have been brought at a difficult time for Spurs, who face a crunch fortnight in their quest for Champions League football.

After Saturday's game against Hull, Redknapp's side face Liverpool, Fulham and Birmingham in the Premier League and Leeds in the FA Cup.

"I'm fine. I don't know how it started but we're certainly reaching closure," Redknapp said.

"My mind has not been off football anyway. The game is what I live for.

"It's got no effect on me to be perfectly honest. I'm ready for the Hull game and looking forward to it. That is about where we are at."

Redknapp also denied potential bids for Crystal Palace striker Victor Moses or AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini but admitted Internacional midfielder Sandro is a possible new recruit at White Hart Lane.

"It's a real possibility but I'm not sure where the chairman is in terms of the deal," Redknapp said.



Print Sponsor


see also
Redknapp charged with tax evasion
14 Jan 10 |  England
Leicester chairman on tax charges
12 Jan 10 |  England


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.