BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:50 GMT, Monday, 21 July 2008 17:50 UK

Tottenham submit Berbatov dossier

Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov
Keane and Berbatov both scored 15 league goals last season

Tottenham have submitted a year's worth of evidence to the Premier League to support their complaint over Manchester United's pursuit of Dimitar Berbatov.

A newspaper report quoting United boss Sir Alex Ferguson as saying he expected to sign the striker is understood to be only one of Spurs' concerns.

Ferguson denies making the comments, but the Londoners believe United have broken Premier League rules.

Spurs have also reported Liverpool for their public courting of Robbie Keane.

The next step will see the Premier League board write to all parties before deciding whether to take further action.

I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy
Last week, Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy accused United of being hypocritical, given that the European Champions reported Real Madrid to governing body Fifa because of their interest in Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Levy said: "The behaviour of both clubs has been disgraceful. We told both clubs very early on that we had no interest in selling Robbie or Dimitar, respectively, and that they should refrain from pursuing the player.

"Both clubs arrogantly chose to ignore this request and we now have evidence that both clubs have systematically been working to prise the players away from us, outside of Premier League rules of conduct."

A national newspaper claimed on 18 July that United had made Tottenham an offer for 27-year-old Berbatov and alleged that Ferguson was confident a deal would go through.

Benitez admitted earlier this month that he was interested in bringing striker Keane, 28, to Anfield this summer.

But it was Ferguson's reported comments that prompted Levy to speak out about the attempts to unsettle his strikers.

"The public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players," he said.

"It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date.

"As a result, we have made an official complaint to the Premier League about the conduct of Manchester United.

606: DEBATE

"Benitez made similar comments in respect of Robbie recently and we made an official complaint to the Premier League about the conduct of Liverpool earlier this week.

"I have absolutely no wish to sell either player and to date we have not accepted any offer for either."

The Premier League confirmed they had received Tottenham's official complaints in relation to breaches of the Premier League rules K3 and K8.

United issued a brief response to Tottenham's claims with a spokesman saying: "We are aware of the allegation and will co-operate with the Premier League as necessary."


see also
Ferguson 'embarrassed' for Spurs
19 Jul 08 |  Man Utd
Ramos prepares for Berbatov exit
08 May 08 |  Tottenham
Reds legend backs Keane pursuit
17 Jul 08 |  Liverpool
Liverpool face battle for Keane
01 Jul 08 |  Liverpool
Spurs star Keane weds in Dublin
07 Jun 08 |  UK News


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.