Southampton's resolve to keep Gareth Bale will be tested by an approach to sell the teenager for up to £10m.
Saints boss George Burley is determined to keep Bale
BBC Radio Solent say an unnamed club has sounded out Saints on the prospect of selling the 17-year-old Wales star.
Manchester United and Tottenham have had bids rejected for the full-back and boss George Burley insists he will not be sold in the transfer window.
Burley told the Saints website: "At some point Gareth will go but he will be here until the end of the season."
Bale has recently turned down Southampton's offer of a one-year extension to his contract, the most Saints are able to offer a player of his age.
Tottenham are believed to have opened the auction for Bale with a £6m bid, which was rejected.
Saints are then thought to have snubbed Manchester United's £8m offer for Bale, while Liverpool and Newcastle are also thought to be interested.
I know he is going to go at some point but I want to keep him as long as possible
Saints boss George Burley
Burley is desperate to keep Bale, who is a key part of Saints' promotion bid.
He is resigned to losing Bale at some stage but feels the young defender's development would be best served by staying at the Championship club.
The Saints boss feels Bale could learn from Theo Walcott, who has only flirted with first-team football at Arsenal since his £12m move last year.
Walcott played his last game for Southampton almost a year ago to the week at QPR and Burley is determined the 2-0 win at Loftus Road on Saturday will not mark Bale's last appearance in a Southampton shirt.
606 DEBATE: Give your reaction to this news
Burley said: "You can't beat playing regularly for your development and at bigger clubs it is harder to get in the team.
"His parents are very pleased with his progress and feel this is a good place for him to learn his football and the improvement has been there to be seen.
"I know he is going to go at some point but I want to keep him as long as possible."