Portsmouth have completed the signing of former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell on a free transfer.
Campbell was seeking a fresh challenge after leaving Arsenal
The 31-year-old, who had a medical at Fratton Park earlier on Monday, agreed to a two-year contract with Pompey.
"I told him Portsmouth are a club going places, a good club to come to," said Pompey boss Harry Redknapp.
"It's a very ambitious club now. We are going to keep moving forward and he can be part of something very exciting. So I think he was up for that."
Redknapp added: "I think he'll give the place a real lift just coming in. He's a top, top player, a big character and I think he's a great signing for us.
"He's very strong. I think he's fine and looking forward to the challenge."
Arsenal released the centre-back in July because he wanted a new challenge.
Campbell, who spent five years at Highbury, also attracted interest from Newcastle, while Manchester City denied they made a late move for the player.
His decision to have considered a move to the south coast surprised Gunners manager Arsene Wenger.
"I have no regrets," Wenger said of his choice to release the player. "But it is a big surprise to me because he cancelled his contract to go abroad.
"Have you sold Portsmouth to a foreign country? No."
Redknapp is looking to partner Campbell with either Manchester City's Sylvain Distin or Blackburn's Ryan Nelsen.
Portsmouth are particulalry keen on Distin, who is in the last year of his contract at Manchester City and would cost around £4m.
He has also tendered a bid for New Zealand international Nelsen, although it has been rebuffed by Blackburn boss Mark Hughes.
The Pompey boss has also made an approach to Manchester City for England keeper David James.
Campbell announced at the end of last season that he was leaving the Gunners to seek "a new challenge" after five years with the London club.
He made 197 appearances for the Gunners and won five major trophies after joining the club from arch rivals Tottenham in 2001.