Port Vale boss Micky Adams announces director candidacy
Adams has so far led Vale to 35 wins and 27 draws in 81 games in charge
Port Vale manager Micky Adams has announced his intention to become a director of the League Two club - to enable him to bring in new players.
At present, Adams cannot make signings or negotiate contracts as there are not enough directors on the board following Vale's Extraordinary General Meeting.
Having been reduced from five to three, they need a fourth director appointed.
"I need to sign players. At the moment I only have 13 registered," the Vale boss told BBC Radio Stoke.
"I'm not interested in sitting in a boardroom and talking about how many meat pies we're going to sell on a Saturday, or if there's a problem in the ladies' toilets.
"I've been asked to solve a short-term problem. It's a football matter and nothing to do with the EGM."
After leaving Vale Park last December to join home town club Sheffield United, Adams returned to Burslem on 13 May two days after his sacking by the Blades. And, almost a month on, he is simply keen to start assembling his squad.
"I am waiting to extend contracts for existing players and to sign new players," he added. "And this can't take place until the minimum number of directors is in office."
Prospective director Mark Sims, who is backing local millionaire Mo Chaudry to take control of the club, was elected onto the board at Wednesday's EGM. But he wants to assess the club's finances before he makes a decision whether to accept the position.
"If you want my honest opinion, I think Micky's been naive," Sims told BBC Radio Stoke: "It doesn't wash with me that this is being done for footballing reasons.
"If this was about signing players, why not come to me to assist in every way I can. Then Micky can get on with the football side.
"I want to be open and transparent. Everything I find out about this football club the fans will know about it."
At the club's EGM five days ago, Port Vale shareholders cast a vote of no confidence in the current board of directors.
Three of the five directors, including chairman Bill Bratt, kept their place on the board after surviving individual votes for their positions.
Vice-chairman Peter Jackson and Stan Meigh were the two directors voted off. But Meigh now intends to sponsor Adams, a proposal to be put to all shareholders by means of a written resolution.
Adams has also announced his intention to purchase £50,000 worth of shares when legal formalities permit.
The club's latest announcement has met with strong opposition from fan groups.
The North London Valiants group were asked to nominate their own candidate for the board after last week's EGM.
"We have asked for time to consider the second directorship, which has been ignored," said group spokesman Malcolm Hirst.
"This decision has been taken by directors who lost a vote of no confidence only four days ago. In doing so, they lost the moral right to have an influence on the running of our club.
"We ask that Micky Adams withdraw his candidacy as director and concentrate on football matters only."
In addition, the 'Black and Gold Until it's Sold' fans' campaign have issued an open letter sent to Adams.
"We are really surprised to find that you are placing yourself in a position that puts you at odds with the vast majority of the club's 1,000 shareholders and many of its fans," it states.
"Please consider very carefully why you are taking this action and consider above all what is in the best interests of Port Vale Football Club."
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.