BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 21:08 GMT, Saturday, 26 February 2011

Director Tony Wrathall vows to stay on Argyle board

Tony Wrathall
Wrathall has supported Plymouth Argyle for 40 years

Plymouth Argyle director Tony Wrathall has vowed to fight to stay on the board of the ailing League One club.

New investors are being sought for the club which reportedly owes £10m and has survived several winding up attempts at the High Court this season.

Wrathall told BBC Radio Devon: "The local directors are going to stay and fight, we don't want the club to go into administration.

"I'm not running away. I am going to try and be here next year."

On Friday fellow Plymouth-based director and current deputy chairman Paul Stapleton admitted it is unlikely he will be able to remain on the board when any prospective buyer takes over the club.

"I'm not walking away," said Wrathall. "I've got too much invested in this club to just walk away and have a clean sweep.

"We've got a lot of creditors and we are going to stay and pay them."

Wrathall and Stapleton own 49% of the shares in Plymouth Argyle along with Robert Dennerly, while the remaining 51% is shared between Japanese businessman Yasuaki Kagami (38%) and Sir Roy Gardner and Keith Todd (13%).

Argyle are currently bottom of the League One standings having been docked 10 points on Monday after issuing a notice of intention to appoint an administrator.

The notice is classed as an insolvency event which breaks Football League sanctions and results in the automatic 10-point penalty.

Plymouth's football consultant Peter Ridsdale is leading the search for new investors at Home Park having previously told the BBC that £2m is needed to ensure the club survives until the end of the season.

On Friday, Ridsdale told BBC Spotlight: "We have three buyers who we think are very interested, two of whom are slightly further ahead than the third.

"There is a strong possibility that prior to a final conclusion we may well have to go into administration."



Print Sponsor


see also
No cash left at Argyle - Ridsdale
25 Feb 11 |  Plymouth
Plymouth 2-1 Colchester
26 Feb 11 |  League One
Plymouth get boy's 53p cash boost
26 Feb 11 |  Devon
Stapleton faces Argyle departure
25 Feb 11 |  Plymouth
McCauley considers aiding Argyle
22 Feb 11 |  Plymouth
Plymouth receive 10-point penalty
21 Feb 11 |  Plymouth
PFA supporting Plymouth's players
15 Feb 11 |  Plymouth


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites