Peterborough United boss Johnson not surprised by brawl
Peterborough & Notts County's mass brawl
Peterborough United boss Gary Johnson says the brawl that followed the final whistle in the League One 3-2 defeat by Notts County summed up the game.
Both sides clashed on the touchline in scenes the Football Association is looking into after receiving the referee's match report.
Johnson told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "It would be indicative of the game, it started ugly and finished ugly.
"There was a lot of liveliness in the two dugouts."
He added: "There were too many people standing up and getting involved."
The two sides endured a bad tempered affair at London Road which saw Posh midfielder Grant McCann given a straight red card and County's Ricky Ravenhill sent off after two bookable offences.
Tensions built until the final whistle when players and staff from both clubs became embroiled in a melee at the entrance of the tunnel.
"To be honest with you I wasn't here, I had already gone down the tunnel, I did wonder sitting in the dressing room what was happening," Johnson continued.
"For me it was an ugly game and not enjoyable for anyone really."
The Posh manager went on to add he believed the tone of the game was set by the Magpies management.
"Sometimes they were out of their dugout and sometimes they were even in ours," he said.
"It was up to the officials, in my opinion, to get a grip on the whole game.
The football club does not condone such behaviour and have been happy to supply the FA , the Football League and the police with video evidence
"I don't think too many of our lads have come out with too much credit on the day, we've said how well they've done but we never rose above it today.
"We allowed a team with a particular tactic to come and spoil it, and if that's their tactic then that's what's happened and they go home with three points."
In a statement Peterborough United said: "Following the unacceptable incident that developed at the end of last night's [Tuesday] game with Notts County, the football club has launched a full-scale enquiry to allow the facts to be presented.
"The football club does not condone such behaviour and have been happy to supply the FA, the Football League and the police with video evidence to support this stance."
The FA is likely to make a decision on whether to take further action by Friday.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.