BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 17:30 GMT, Monday, 10 January 2011

Burnley bid for Norwich's Paul Lambert 'unprofessional'

Norwich City chief executive David McNally
McNally (pictured) brought Lambert to Carrow Road in August 2009

Norwich City chief executive David McNally has said Burnley's decision to make their approach for manager Paul Lambert public was "unprofessional".

The Clarets announced on their website on Thursday that they had made an official bid to speak to Lambert.

McNally told BBC Radio Norfolk he thought the move was "unusual, unexpected and unprofessional".

But Burnley chairman Barry Kilby said: "We acted through the proper channels and made a formal enquiry."

McNally added: "I was alerted by Joe Ferrari, head of media, that Burnley for some bizarre reason decided to put [their interest in Lambert] on their website.

"So that really was unusual, unexpected and unprofessional of them."

Despite a City statement that they would be unwilling to consider an approach for Lambert's services, speculation grew on Friday evening that the Scot was ready to leave for Turf Moor.

In a press conference earlier that day Lambert had stated he was "happy" with the club's stance but was unwilling to comment any further.

He later laid out his commitment to the Norfolk club in a statement and McNally says the former Colchester boss was focusing on Saturday's FA Cup clash with Leyton Orient when he was asked about Burnley's interest.

"As everybody now knows, Paul is one of the most professional football managers," said McNally.

I think people put two and two together and came up with 450. I was always happy here, I've loved it. It was the wrong thing people surmising I was going to leave

Norwich City boss Paul Lambert

"His focus on the eve of any game is that game and that's all he was prepared to worry about and rightly so.

"Some of the rumours just beggar belief but it was a very controlled day as far as the football club was concerned."

Lambert himself was unimpressed with how quickly the speculation got out of hand.

"I think people put two and two together and came up with 450," he explained.

"I was always happy here, I've loved it. It was the wrong thing people surmising I was going to leave when I love the place.

"I've got a terrific rapport with the fans, which is a unique thing to have.

"Friday's statement for me was good enough to say I was happy and I was fine.

"It escalated for some strange reason. I don't know why, but people should listen to what I say."

Burnley's Kilby added: "Obviously [the approach] was refused and we respect Paul's and Norwich's decision and now we move on to the other persons on the shortlist."



Print Sponsor


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.