BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 14:23 GMT, Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Survival is still Norwich City aim, says Paul Lambert

Paul Lambert
Lambert has never lost back-to-back league games at Norwich

Norwich City boss Paul Lambert insists his aim this season remains the same as it was in August - to avoid relegation from the Championship.

City are fifth in the table but Lambert says survival is still the priority.

"That was always the main objective. It's the media and everybody else who thinks we should be up there," he told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"I'm delighted with what's happened in the last 16, 17 months, but the main objective is to stay in the league."

Lambert took over at Carrow Road in August last year and has not looked back since, leading the Canaries to automatic promotion from League One and adapting to life in the Championship with considerable ease.

Norwich have consistently been attracting crowds of around 25,000 and the expectation among fans has increased in line with their side's success.

Work is well underway in attempting to complete some business

Norwich City chief executive David McNally

But former Colchester manager Lambert says he has worked hard to make sure his players do not get carried away with their success.

"The lads know my feelings on it, their feet are firmly on the ground," he said.

"We've got a phenomenal fan base, so they'll raise the bar as well and it doesn't help that you people [the media] stoke it up.

"But I'm sure the fans are realising that we're doing great."

City are likely to bolster their squad in the new year as injuries and suspensions have left them thin on the ground.

And with the transfer window set to re-open in January, Lambert says he has already identified his targets.

"Finances will dictate what happens but there's players there you'd like to bring in to give the group a hand, but sometimes you don't get them," he said.

Meanwhile, in a webchat on the club's official website, chief executive David McNally confirmed that "work is well underway in attempting to complete some business" in the transfer market, but insisted Lambert is not under pressure to sell his top players and that no offers have yet to come in for any City player.

He added that the club are "content with its position regarding first-team squad contracts" and that there is no risk of a senior player leaving on a free transfer in January or the summer.



Print Sponsor


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.