BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 14:20 GMT, Sunday, 9 August 2009 15:20 UK

Hughton cools Barton row claims

Advertisement

Hughton satisfied to claim point

Newcastle caretaker manager Chris Hughton has played down reports that Joey Barton was dropped following a training ground bust-up.

The controversial midfielder was named as a substitute for the club's opening game of the season against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns.

Hughton refused to directly deny an incident had occurred when questioned.

But he said: "We are getting used to rumours at Newcastle United. It is something that we have to work around."

Reports in the north-east claimed Barton was involved in a dispute with Jonas Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini and then fell out with Hughton, suggestions the 26-year-old has denied.

"There was no disagreement between Joey Barton and any other player prior to the West Brom game," said Barton's personal spokesman Paul Tyrrell.

"He totally accepted Chris Hughton's decision to put him on the bench for tactical reasons yesterday and gave a typically committed performance when he came on as a substitute.

606: DEBATE

"Joey is firmly focused on getting Newcastle back to where it belongs - the Premier League."

Asked how Barton took the decision to be named on the bench, Hughton added: "He took it the same as everybody, everybody wants to play.

"He was disappointed, but that's the decision I made."

Barton's Newcastle career looked to be over after his sending off at Liverpool in May led to a dressing-room bust-up with then-caretaker boss Alan Shearer.

He was suspended but with Shearer's future unclear, the former Manchester City player was recalled to the squad by Hughton.

Barton, who has played once for England, was a controversial figure at City before joining Newcastle under Sam Allardyce for £5.8m in 2007.

He has started only 26 matches for the Tyneside club, with another six appearances off the bench.

In July last year, Barton received a four-month suspended sentence for assaulting Ousmane Dabo in a training-ground incident while still at City.

Barton was banned by the FA for 12 matches - six of which were suspended - and fined £25,000 after admitting a violent conduct charge in relation to the Dabo incident.

He also spent two months in prison after admitting assault and affray after a separate non-footballing incident.

In July, Barton said he wanted to stay at the club, but he conceded that if Shearer does return as manager then the decision could be out of his hands.



Print Sponsor


see also
Barton set for Magpies comeback
09 Jul 09 |  Newcastle
Barton hit by Magpies suspension
05 May 09 |  Newcastle
Barton 'stupidity' riles Shearer
04 May 09 |  Newcastle
Barton back for Newcastle run-in
19 Mar 09 |  Newcastle
Newcastle: A year to forget
07 Aug 09 |  Newcastle
Shearer still wants Newcastle job
08 Aug 09 |  Newcastle
Newcastle takeover back on track
04 Oct 09 |  Newcastle
Kinnear makes Newcastle job claim
05 Aug 09 |  Newcastle
Hughton fearful of player sales
03 Aug 09 |  Newcastle
Ashley wants quick Newcastle sale
31 May 09 |  Newcastle
Newcastle's season of misery
24 May 09 |  Newcastle


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.