BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 14:16 GMT, Friday, 5 September 2008 15:16 UK

Banned Barton to miss six matches

Ousmane Dabo and Joey Barton
Barton (right) attacked Dabo (left) in a training ground incident

Newcastle's Joey Barton has been banned for six games by the Football Association, with another six suspended, for assaulting Ousmane Dabo.

Barton, 26, had previously admitted the charge of violent conduct and was fined 25,000 at the personal hearing.

He will be banned for another six games if he is found guilty in the future.

In July Barton received a four-month suspended prison sentence for the assault in May 2007, when the pair were team-mates at Manchester City.

The disciplinary panel revealed its findings at a the three-hour hearing at the Football Association's headquarters in Soho Square, London.

Former Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan, who quit on Thursday, faxed his support but did not appear in person as a character witness for Barton.

Barton will miss the next six Newcastle games against Hull, West Ham, Tottenham (in the Carling Cup), Blackburn, Everton and Manchester City.

If fit and ready, he could return at Sunderland on 25 October.

Since the training ground assault on Dabo, who now plays for Lazio, Barton has been jailed for a drunken attack on revellers in Liverpool city centre.

The commission members considered principally the serious attack by Mr Barton that clearly cannot be accepted

Maurice Armstrong, independent regulatory commission chairman

Barton was released from prison in July after serving 74 days of his sentence for attacking a teenager.

A statement from the independent regulatory commission chairman Maurice Armstrong said: "Much has been written about Mr Barton over recent months.

"The regulatory commission had the benefit of taking all appropriate information into consideration.

"The commission members considered principally the serious attack by Mr Barton that clearly cannot be accepted.

"The members also had to take into consideration the sanctions imposed by the courts and the pro-active support Mr Barton has received from Newcastle United and other professional bodies.

"The commission members wanted to punish the offence appropriately but give Mr Barton an opportunity to ensure his professional conduct does not falter again and ensure he is fully aware of the consequences should he make another serious error of judgment."

The training ground attack left French midfielder Dabo with several cuts and bruises as well as a suspected detached retina.

He said it was so bad it left him "looking like the elephant man".


see also
Keegan resigns as Newcastle boss
04 Sep 08 |  Newcastle
Barton sidelined until FA hearing
23 Aug 08 |  Newcastle
Barton faces action over assault
15 Aug 08 |  England
Barton admits to violent conduct
13 Aug 08 |  Newcastle
FA charges Barton over Dabo clash
31 Jul 08 |  Newcastle
Magpies to discuss Barton future
01 Jul 08 |  Newcastle
Barton is sentenced for assault
01 Jul 08 |  England
Keegan will support Barton - Lee
21 May 08 |  Newcastle
Barton admits team-mate assault
30 Jun 08 |  England


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.