Barton (right) attacked Dabo (left) in a training ground incident
The Football Association has charged Newcastle's Joey Barton with violent conduct over his assault of then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.
Barton, 25, was given a four-month suspended prison sentence on 1 July for the May 2007 assault after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
The new charge comes after the FA received the relevant documents from that hearing at Manchester Crown Court.
The former Manchester City player has two weeks to respond to the charge.
Barton was released from prison on Monday after serving 74 days of his six-month prison sentence for a separate assault, in which he attacked a teenager in Liverpool city centre last year.
Newcastle officials met Barton on Tuesday to discuss his future and Magpies boss Kevin Keegan told BBC Sport on Sunday that the player would be given a second chance by the club.
The case will be heard by an independent regulatory commission on an as yet unspecified date.
Joey will be requesting a personal hearing in relation to the charge
Newcastle spokesman on Barton
There is no maximum sentence which could be issued to Barton by the FA and but a lengthy ban and possible fine could be the outcome if he is found guilty.
Newcastle have responded to the charge by questioning why they should be penalised for an incident which took place so long ago, and while the player was at a different club.
"The club has sought clarification from the Football Association as to why this decision has been reached now, given the incident occurred nearly 15 months ago," Newcastle said in a statement.
"Joey will be requesting a personal hearing in relation to the charge and the club will be making no further comment on the matter at this time."
For their part, the FA insists its hands were tied while the criminal investigation was ongoing, and that with no video footage of the incident, it was unable to interview players who were central to the police's case.
"Having received relevant documentation, the Football Association has based the charge on the conviction," said BBC Five Live's Nigel Adderley.
"It is understood the FA will contest any claim that further punishment for the offence would be a case of double jeopardy."
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.