Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has claimed Newcastle United have made a bid to sign him.
Torres has previously said that a move to Arsenal would interest him
The 21-year-old, who is set to leave the club in the summer, will lead Spain's attack at the World Cup finals.
"There has always been talk about lots of clubs but I only know one firm offer and that's from Newcastle," Torres told The Sun newspaper.
"I've never thought about listening to offers from anyone but you can't be certain about what may happen."
The Magpies will be seeking to find a replacement for long-serving striker Alan Shearer, who is set to retire at the end of the season.
Shearer became Newcastle's all-time leading scorer in February when he broke Jackie Milburn's record of 200 goals.
Torres, who captains Atletico, has scored 59 goals in 128 La Liga games.
Newcastle's Premiership rivals Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea are also believed to be interested in signing Torres.
The striker revealed last November that he would be interested in a move to Arsenal.
"If Arsenal and a coach like Arsene Wenger want to speak to you it's really flattering," he revealed.
"They're in the Champions League every season. I want to play against the best and challenge for the biggest titles."
Meanwhile, Newcastle midfielder Nolberto Solano has said he would be delighted to return to the Peru national side under new coach Franco Navarro.
The 31-year-old quit the team last year after falling out with former coach Freddy Ternero.
"I'm dying to wear the red and white shirt again, of course I'd like to. I wish Franco all the best," said the former Aston Villa star.
Navarro became Peru's third coach in a year when he was officially unveiled on Monday.