Ferguson rules out Manchester United move for Campbell
Campbell (right) in action against United's Ronaldo last season
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he will not be signing former England defender Sol Campbell.
The 35-year-old centre-half revealed he would be keen on an Old Trafford move having been released from his Notts County contract last week.
Ferguson said: "Campbell was a great player. But he is not a player we are thinking about bringing to United."
However, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has not ruled out a move for Campbell, saying: "You never say never."
Campbell, who left the Gunners for Portsmouth in 2006, has been training at Arsenal's training ground in Hertfordshire since leaving County.
Wenger added: "I love Sol Campbell and the fact he came back here and wanted to practise with us shows he loves the club as well.
"At the moment, we have four centre-backs and we will always have four.
"If one would go, then I would consider it, but at the moment we are four, so I have no need to sign anybody else.
"Sol can still do a job in the Premier League, especially now he is fit. He has worked very hard."
Campbell, capped 73 times by his country, is a free agent and available in the January transfer window having been released from his five-year contract with the League Two side last week.
Earlier in the week, the former Tottenham star told ESPN he would "love to play for Manchester United", but without any official contact, added he was "not counting any chickens and just waiting to see what happens".
United had 15 players missing - including eight defenders - for Tuesday's 3-1 Champions League win at Wolfsburg and Campbell could have been viewed as an attractive option.
Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher were part of a makeshift three-man defence in Germany and Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic are the only regular defenders who are fit.
However, the injury crisis shows some sign of receding with the news that Jonny Evans (calf) could be back in 10 days, while John O'Shea (thigh) may return after Christmas.
Ferguson added: "We are having a hard time with centre-backs at this moment in time but I am sure by January most of them will be back."
It has been suggested the club are experiencing financial difficulties with Ferguson's lack of transfer activity following the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80m in the summer.
However, the Scottish boss said: "It has been said I do not have the money, but the money is there if I wanted to use it.
"I didn't see any value in the summer and I don't see any value at the moment either. I am happy with the players I already have at the club."
Campbell only settled his contract dispute with Notts County last Wednesday after the club initially refused to release his registration.
He linked up with director of football Sven-Goran Eriksson at Meadow Lane in August but departed less than a month into the deal having played just one game after reportedly becoming disillusioned with the club's rate of progression.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.