Tevez has fallen down the pecking order with Dimitar Berbatov's arrival
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson does not believe striker Carlos Tevez wants to leave the club.
On-loan Tevez, 24, has been regularly left out of the starting line-up in the past month, but Ferguson said the Argentine striker understands his role.
"He is happy here," said Ferguson. "The players and fans love him.
"Just because I have left him out for a couple of games, doesn't mean it should be a negative part of negotiations to get him here in a full-time capacity."
Tevez joined the Old Trafford outfit on a two-year loan that is due to expire next summer.
It had been expected he would sign a permanent contract before the end of the season.
I don't think Wayne Rooney would be too impressed if I left him out of two or three games. However, I don't think it is unmanageable
Sir Alex Ferguson
But with Tevez sinking behind Wayne Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov in the pecking order, talks between Red Devils chief executive David Gill and Tevez's trusted advisor Kia Joorabchian have taken place.
The forward has been subsequently linked with a move away from Old Trafford, with Real Madrid and cash-rich Manchester City mentioned as possible destinations, but Ferguson said Tevez wanted to remain at the club.
"Obviously there is always the language barrier with Carlos but it is quite straightforward. He wants to play," said Ferguson.
"That is fine. I have just reminded him of how we operate here. He understands that. It is the same for Rooney. They are not happy but that is the way it is."
Ferguson admitted it was tricky keeping all of his strikers happy, comparing his current dilemma to the 1999 Manchester United side, where Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer were vying for a place in the team.
"It is much more delicate handling the striking situation now," he said.
"In those days there was that northern European culture that was easier to manage. There was a British mentality and there was no problem dealing with it.
"None of them were happy when they didn't play but they understood and it wasn't an issue.
"I sat Wayne down the other day and told him I had to find out how Dimitar Berbatov and Carlos played together. He understood that, but I don't think he would be too impressed if I left him out of two or three games. However, I don't think it is unmanageable."
Meanwhile, Diego Maradona, who is due to be confirmed as head coach of Argentina on Tuesday, has abandoned plans to fly to England this weekend and meet with Tevez and Javier Mascherano.
The 48-year-old former Napoli and Barcelona forward will stay in Argentina to formulate his squad for the upcoming friendly against Scotland.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.