Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
---------------
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
 
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Thursday, 3 May 2007, 08:58 GMT 09:58 UK
Dabo may sue Barton over 'attack'
Joey Barton (left) and Ousmane Dabo
Barton and Dabo are unlikely to play for Man City together again
Manchester City midfielder Ousmane Dabo is threatening legal action against team-mate Joey Barton following their training ground bust-up on Tuesday.

Dabo, 31, was left unconscious and with a bruised eye after Barton's attack.

"I went to turn around, he hit me and knocked me out. He is a despicable coward, it wasn't a fair fight," Dabo told L'Equipe. "I am disfigured.

"This is why I am in serious talks with my lawyers to see what I can do. This should not be allowed to happen."

Dabo also accused the Professional Footballers' Association of trying to help Barton but not getting in touch with him, a claim chief executive Gordon Taylor denies.

In the eyes of many I'm seen as the one who started the fight, but that is absolutely not true

Ousmane Dabo

"We've been in touch with Manchester City and have been trying to make contact with both players," said Taylor.

"As regards Dabo, [PFA executive] Richard Jobson is looking to make contact with him because he deals with his brother Moussa at Oldham on a regular basis."

Dabo had to be taken to hospital after Tuesday's incident, which has led to City banning Barton until the end of the season.

But boss Stuart Pearce says the matter will not affect the club ahead of the Manchester derby against United on Saturday.

"There will be no negative response," said Pearce. "The way the squad have handled everything has been a credit to themselves. I am sure they are galvanised by it.

"The matter is now the subject of an internal disciplinary hearing.

"The board will be involved, as will myself, and we will deal with it after the season ends."

Barton's agent Willie McKay said on Wednesday that he had been banned by City because he was "an easy target" and that he was acting "in self-defence".

McKay also suggested he was Dabo's agent, a claim the Frenchman was quick to deny.

"Let's get one thing clear," added Dabo in the Daily Telegraph. "McKay has never been my agent. He only assisted my real agent with my transfer last summer.

"Secondly, he should have checked his facts before saying I was the aggressor.

"He has actually called me since to apologise for getting the story wrong, but it's too late because in the eyes of many I'm seen as the one who started the fight.

"But that's absolutely not true and that is why I'm so keen to get my side of the story across."

SEE ALSO
Man City ban Barton after bust-up
01 May 07 |  Man City
Barton criticises Man City season
22 Apr 07 |  Man City
City star arrested over assault
13 Mar 07 |  Manchester
Pearce bemoans Barton treatment
13 Feb 07 |  Man City
Barton wins first England call-up
02 Feb 07 |  Internationals


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us