Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
---------------
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
 
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Tuesday, 24 April 2007, 08:41 GMT 09:41 UK
Man City continue takeover talks
Manchester City
Manchester City have confirmed they are still in talks with potential buyers but dismissed suggestions they have received an offer for the club.

Ex-City full-back Ray Ranson was said to have made a 90m offer on Monday.

But City released a statement to the Stock Exchange to say that talks were still ongoing.

"The board of Manchester City confirms it remains in preliminary discussions with third parties that may or may not lead to an offer being made."

City chairman John Wardle earlier this month admitted the club were in talks with potential investors and is thought to be keen to sell.

606: DEBATE
EW

City manager Stuart Pearce last week indicated a deal was getting closer for the club.

But his statement triggered a movement of shares that did not go down well with the Stock Market, forming the basis for City's statement this morning.

As they are currently in an Offer Period, a City spokesman will now be required to read out a short statement to the media prior to every press conference, ensuring there is no repeat.

On Monday reports claimed former Thailand prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who failed in a bid for Liverpool in 2004, was interested in buying City with partners from China and the Middle East.

And the club has also been linked with a buy-out from American investors.

Ranson's reported bid on Monday evening was said to cover the club's shares, loans of about 24m to major shareholders Wardle and David Makin - who own 29% share of the club - and debts to other creditors.

He is thought to have the backing of other businessmen and prepared to provide a transfer kitty of around 20m for new players.

Ranson, who also played for Birmingham, Newcastle and Reading, made over 200 appearances for City, where he started his career.

The 46-year-old multi-millionaire made his fortune from insurance and from football finance and has also invested in football analysis company Prozone.

He made two bids for Villa before the Midlands club were bought by American billionaire Randy Lerner.

If City were to change hands they would become the fifth Premiership club to be sold in the last year.

Portsmouth, Villa, West Ham and Liverpool have all been taken over by foreign investors since last summer.



SEE ALSO
Barton criticises Man City season
22 Apr 07 |  Man City
Pearce worried by takeover talks
10 Apr 07 |  Man City
Football takeover trends
06 Feb 07 |  Premiership
Fatal attraction?
06 Feb 07 |  Premiership
Man City 'in takeover discussion'
07 Dec 06 |  Man City
Villa reject Ranson takeover bid
01 Sep 05 |  Aston Villa
Man City deny 100m takeover talk
08 May 05 |  Man City


RELATED BBC LINKS:

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us