Manchester City are waiting for Portsmouth to make their interest in David James concrete by submitting a formal bid for the England keeper.
James is England's number two keeper
City confirmed that Pompey boss Harry Redknapp had been in contact to check on the 36-year-old's availability.
But a spokesman at Eastlands told BBC Sport: "As yet, there has been no bid from Portsmouth for David James."
James' agent Colin Gordon said: "He is still a City player and we will wait to see if anything develops."
The England number two keeper has one year left on his contract at City, who may feel they want to cash in on him.
City are likely to seek around £2m for James, who has the offer of a three-year deal on the table at Eastlands.
Manager Stuart Pearce's team returned from a pre-season tour of China late on Monday night - where James did not feature in either of City's two games.
James was left on the bench as Nicky Weaver played in the first game against Shanghai Shenhua, while Joe Hart was preferred for the second match against Japanese side Kashima Antlers.
Redknapp is keen to boost his thin goalkeeping resources. With Jamie Ashdown ruled out of the start of the season because of a thigh injury, the Pompey boss only has 35-year-old Dean Kiely as his other senior option.
He is an admirer of James and said: "I still regard him as the best England goalkeeper."
Pompey have also been linked with a £4m move for City's French defender Sylvain Distain - but the City spokesman added that there had been no contact between the two clubs.