BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

Last Updated: Saturday, 23 July 2005, 09:20 GMT 10:20 UK
City to decide on Barton's future
Joey Barton
Manchester City will decide on Joey Barton's future when they return home from their Thailand trip on Monday.

The 22-year-old was sent back to Manchester by City boss Stuart Pearce after he was involved in an altercation in the early hours of Friday morning.

Barton clashed with a 15-year-old Everton fan and his team-mate Richard Dunne in a Bangkok hotel bar.

City are to hold an internal investigation and could fine or transfer-list the midfielder.

The club's deputy chairman Bryan Bodek, who deals with internal discipline, is in the United States.

Pearce told Barton to return home after discussing the matter with chairman John Wardle.

Pearce said: "I will decide what to do after our internal inquiry.

"Suffice to say that if all the events that have been fed back to me are true, I'm very disappointed personally.

"I treat my players, hopefully, like adults and grown men until such time as they betray my trust."

According to the Press Association, the incident in Thailand started when City's players had just returned from a restaurant in the early hours of Friday and were in the bar of their Bangkok hotel.

The 15-year-old allegedly made comments to Barton, prompting an altercation, and when Dunne stepped in as peacemaker, the midfielder rounded on him too.

Sep 1982: Born, Huyton
Apr 2003: Makes Man City debut
Sep 2003: Called into Eng U21 squad
Feb 2004: Sent off against Spurs
Apr 2004: Storms out of ground after being left out for Southampton game
Jul 2004: Kevin Keegan accuses him of starting brawl in friendly at Doncaster
Sep 2004: Given new contract
Dec 2004: Puts lit cigar in Jamie Tandy's eye
May 2005: Breaks leg of pedestrian while driving
Jul 2005: Involved in alleged fight in Thai hotel bar

Dunne sustained a cut finger and a suspected broken foot after kicking a wall in frustration.

Club spokesman Paul Tyrrell added: "Our inquiries are continuing into the events.

"We are also aware that Richard Dunne had some part in what happened but Stuart Pearce has made it clear that Richard behaved properly and appropriately throughout.

"As this is a disciplinary process for which the club have formal guidelines, we have informed the chairman and chief executive who have started the process.

"Our inquiries here in Thailand are continuing. We have interviewed a number of people who witnessed the incident and will continue the investigation.

"The manager has already expressed his distaste for what we believe happened and we will leave no stone unturned to find out the whole truth of what went on."

Barton was fined six weeks' wages, with a further fine of two weeks' wages suspended for a year, after he jabbed a lit cigar into the eye of City team-mate Jamie Tandy at the club's Christmas party in 2004.

Then in May he accidentally knocked down a pedestrian while driving in Liverpool city centre, breaking the man's leg.

Barton made his City debut in April 2003 and was given a contract extension by the club last September.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport