Joey Barton hopes to end his contract dispute with Manchester City by signing a new deal before the weekend.
Barton handed in a transfer request last week
The 23-year-old midfielder turned down City's offer of a new contract last week and handed in a transfer request.
But he said: "Hopefully, in an ideal world I will sign a contract this week and we'll get back to normal.
"I'm prepared to negotiate and so are the club and, hopefully, the fans are prepared to forgive and forget. That's the only way we can go forward."
He added: "The situation got out of control. There was a lot of people who acted on anger.
"The fans have shown their anger towards me in certain ways, I've shown my anger towards the club and they have shown their anger back but it doesn't solve anything.
"The fact of the matter is we need to sort this situation out."
"Hopefully with my actions on and off the field this week I can prove people who doubt my commitment to City wrong."
Barton, who is out of contract at the end of next season, added: "In hindsight I was a little bit impetuous in handing in a transfer request.
"But the club have rejected it and it is not my aim to leave in the near future.
"I want to be a part of things here and there is no reason why it cannot be decided this week."
It is understood the offer that Barton rejected would have doubled his £14,000-per-week salary with win bonuses and appearance money.
Barton's agent Willie McKay told the Manchester Evening News: "If City came back with the same figure as a basic salary I would advise him to sign it."
The former England Under-21 international has continued to play for City and featured in the side that lost 1-0 to Everton on Saturday.
He was booed by his own fans during City's win over Newcastle last week but was later applauded off the pitch.