Manchester City target Georgios Samaras reported sick and failed to turn up for training with Heerenveen on Friday.
Manchester City target Georgio Samaras
A Dutch arbitration commission earlier this week ruled in favour of Heerenveen after Samaras had accused the club of demanding an unreasonable fee.
The 20-year-old Greek striker was then expected to go on strike.
After confirming his absence today, a Heerenveen statement said: "He will not play (on Saturday) in the away game against RBC Roosendaal."
Manchester City were told this week that they must up their bid for Georgios Samaras if they are to acquire the services of the forward.
"The amount that they offered us was between three and five million euros (£2m to £3.5m)," Heerenveen director Henk Hoekstra said.
"I can't mention what we wanted, but there was no way we could make a deal.
"City know our opinion so if they want to make a move, they know what they have to do."
This week's ruling by the Dutch arbitration commission means the only way Samaras will become a City player before the end of the month is if they meet the Dutch club's demands.
"The arbitration ruled that the club had the right to refuse the transfer to City," explained Hoekstra.
"The player's case was that he could earn a lot more money in England than what he gets here and he thought that was enough for us to release him from his contract, and for a small amount, sell him to City."
Samaras is under contract at Heerenveen until June 2008.