Benitez bought Keane from Tottenham for £20.3m in the summer
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has insisted Robbie Keane will not be sold following reports linking the £20.3m striker with a return to Tottenham.
Keane was dropped for Saturday's 3-1 win at Blackburn and has come under pressure after scoring only four goals since arriving from Spurs in July.
But, when asked if the 28-year-old still had a future at Anfield, Benitez said: "Yes, why not?
"He will be here after the January window, it is not my idea to sell him."
He added: "We have confidence in him but he knows he's not playing to his true level.
"Robbie's future is to be ready, to score goals and to work for the team.
"The challenge is there for him. When you sign a player for a lot of money, that is it. He becomes another player in the squad and he has to fight for his position. Clearly he has to show character."
With Keane struggling to adapt to Anfield life and the January transfer window approaching, some newspaper reports suggested Benitez may look to cash in on the misfiring Republic of Ireland forward, who has been linked with a return to Spurs under new boss Harry Redknapp.
Benitez, however, was keen to play down the situation with Keane - who has only completed the full 90 minutes for Liverpool on three occasions - and pointed to the example of strikers at other clubs.
"People are going on about the fact that he didn't play at Blackburn but we had Dirk Kuyt up front and Ryan Babel playing as a striker on the left," he commented.
"I said before Blackburn that no-one can be guaranteed a place, that you decide on which system and players will give you the best chance of controlling each fixture.
"Carlos Tevez scored four goals for Manchester United last week but didn't start against Sunderland, yet there isn't the same debate about that."
After Spurs beat West Ham 2-0 on Monday, Redknapp played down reports linking him with former Leeds and Inter Milan striker Keane.
"I love Robbie Keane, I think he's a great player and its a shame he's not here," he stated.
"But he belongs to Liverpool and until the day they decide they want to sell it would be unfair to talk about him.
"As a player he's top class - and as a person around a football club he's a great character."
Keane's last action for Liverpool resulted in him being taken off, after 66 minutes, for the 15th time this season in the draw with West Ham on 2 December after which Benitez conceded: "Robbie is a better player than the one we are seeing now.
"He gets disappointed when things are not going his way. He is a worker but can improve. He will be OK."
With Fernando Torres sidelined through injury, Keane is expected to be handed the task of leading Liverpool's attack in their final Champions League Group D match away to PSV Eindhoven on Tuesday.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.