Djibril Cisse says he is hurt that Liverpool considered selling him before the transfer window closed last month.
Cisse was linked with Newcastle, Marseille and Monaco last month
The £14m France striker claims Liverpool had talks with Newcastle and Marseille about a possible move.
"I heard Liverpool were in talks with other clubs behind my back - and that hurts," he told the News of the World.
Cisse, 24, also believes his World Cup chances could suffer if manager Rafael Benitez continues to play him out of position on the right.
"Everyone knows that being on the right is not where I want to play," said Cisse, who scored twice in France's 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over the Faroe Islands on Saturday.
"It's not my best position but the manager puts me there. I'm prepared to do it for the good of the club but it's difficult.
"It's a World Cup year and I need to win a place in the French side. At the moment that dream is under threat.
"I'm not like Michael Owen at Newcastle - I'm not guaranteed my place. I've spoken to my international manager and he told me I need to play as much as possible.
"He said I should go where I want as long as I am playing regularly.
"I ask myself, can I be happy only playing every other game? I can't help but wonder about the club's attitude towards me, but I'm prepared to put my head down and keep battling."