Leeds chairman Ken Bates is considering legal action
Leeds United are considering a compensation claim following the settlement of the Carlos Tevez saga.
West Ham and Sheffield United reached an out-of-court settlement over the Argentine's ineligibility during the 2006-07 season.
The Blades' relegation saw Leeds miss out on add-ons from the transfers of Rob Hulse, Matthew Kilgallon and Ian Bennett to Bramall Lane.
Leeds chairman Ken Bates told the club website they are seeking legal advice.
"We are currently taking advice on it and won't be commenting further at this time," said Bates.
The Sheffield club successfully argued that Tevez was ineligible to play for West Ham and that his goals helped keep the Hammers in the Premier League at their expense.
If they are being compensated for their loss we believe we should be compensated for our loss
Leeds chairman Ken Bates
An independent hearing ruled in favour of their claim for compensation and the two clubs reached an agreement earlier this week, thought to be in the region of £20m.
And while that seemed to signal the end of the matter, Bates' comments indicate that the saga could carry on.
"We sold a number of players to Sheffield United with contingencies," Bates said.
"When they got relegated on the last day of the season we missed out on a substantial sum.
"That's what we lost and if they are being compensated for their loss we believe we should be compensated for our loss.
"There are other clubs in the same boat who have similar claims. Ours is the biggest claim and it would be nice to collect that and strengthen our squad."
It is not known how much money Leeds missed out on, but one newspaper report estimates it could be around £500,000.
Argentine Tevez now plays for Manchester United
Former Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock, now in charge of Crystal Palace, said on Tuesday that he was also considering legal action against West Ham.
Players from the Sheffield United team that were relegated also intend to pursue their compensation claim.
In a statement on their club website, West Ham said: "It is now becoming clear that the ruling by Lord Griffiths has encouraged a potentially endless legal chain of claims and counter claims, which can only be damaging to English football.
"As a club we will strongly resist any attempts to prolong this matter through the courts both to protect our interests and those of the wider game.
"There is a lot more at stake than the finances of West Ham United and we will do all we can to stop this matter ending in a form of legal anarchy."
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.