Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: Football: Teams: Ipswich Town  
Front Page 
FA Cup 
Eng Prem 
World Cup 2002 
Champions League 
Uefa Cup 
Worthington Cup 
Eng Div 1 
Eng Div 2 
Eng Div 3 
Eng Conf 
Scot Prem 
Scottish Cup 
CIS Ins Cup 
Scot Div 1 
Scot Div 2 
Scot Div 3 
League of Wales 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Thursday, 1 November, 2001, 19:42 GMT
Ipswich battle through
Bramble returned after five weeks out
Bramble returned after five weeks out
Helsingborgs 1-3 Ipswich (1-3 aggregate)
E-mail your reaction to Football Talk

Ipswich came from behind to beat Helsingborgs in Sweden and qualify for the third round of the Uefa Cup.

George Burley's team began poorly and conceded an early goal when Matteo Sereni fumbled Hans Eklund's long-range shot.

But Hermann Hreidarsson equalised for Ipswich with a precise strike after 68 minutes.

  Key moments
8 mins: Hans Eklund scores for Helsingborgs
69 mins: Hermann Hreidarsson equalises
81 mins: Marcus Stewart gives Ipswich the lead
88 mins: Stewart scores again
And Marcus Stewart ensured Ipswich will be in the third round draw on Friday with two goals in eight minutes.

He headed home a Mark Venus cross before lofting the ball over the Helsingborgs goalkeeper with full-time approaching.

Burley made four changes from the team that lost to West Ham on Sunday but his team's poor form continued in the opening phase of the match.

Helsingborgs opened the scoring after eight minutes.

Brazilian Alvaro Santos laid the ball off to Eklund, who shot from long range.

Sereni seemed well positioned to make a comfortable save but the ball squirmed through his fingers and into the net.

Ipswich created few chances in the opening 20 minutes while their opponents played compact, efficient football.

Peralta impressed against the Swedes
Peralta impressed against the Swedes
Ten minutes before half-time Rade Price was through on goal after neat inter-play with Michael Hansson.

He tried to slide the ball across Sereni from a tight angle but the keeper saved with his legs.

Four minutes later Titus Bramble had a shot cleared off the line after Venus had flicked on an in swinging corner.

Ipswich started the second half in determined mood and an early shot from Marcus Stewart forced a save from Andersson.

Stewart once more forced Andersson into action when he smashed Naylor's low cross goalwards after 57 minutes.


Ipswich continued to press forward and Naylor was unlucky not to equalise with a powerful header that hit the post from Jamie Clapham's cross.

Burley's team finally got their reward after 68 minutes.

Venus' free-kick from the left was flicked on to Hreidarsson, who reacted fastest to smash the ball home from 10 yards.

Naylor was substituted with cramp shortly afterwards and was replaced by 17-year-old Darren Bent.

Town scored a crucial second goal through Marcus Stewart.

Another accurate Venus free-kick drew Stewart across the Helsingborgs defence to head past Andersson.

Bent had a shot saved with full-time approaching but Stewart was able to score his team's third goal when he chipped the keeper with the final whistle beckoning.

Helsingborgs: Sven Andersson, Nilsson, Gustavsson, Matovac, Bakkerud, Hansson, Prica, Christoffer Andersson, Jesper Jansson, Dos Santos, Eklund. Subs: Johansen, Silva, Lindstrom, Jardler, Pelu, Lindberg, Larsson.

Ipswich: Sereni, Wilnis, Clapham, Hreidarsson, Venus, Bramble, Magilton, Holland, Peralta, Naylor, Stewart. Subs: Counago, Makin, Bent, Tommy Miller, Reuser, Gaardsoe, Branagan.

Referee: Edward Gonzalez (Spain)

BBC Sport's Ron Jones
"Another first class away performance from Ipswich"
Ipswich manager George Burley
"The team spirit was fantastic"
Links to more Ipswich Town stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Ipswich Town stories

^^ Back to top