BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 06:06 GMT, Thursday, 30 July 2009 07:06 UK

Everton reject new Lescott offer

Everton defender Joleon Lescott
Lescott formed a good partnership with Jagielka last season

Everton have rejected a second bid from Manchester City for Joleon Lescott.

The Goodison Park side confirmed City had upped the offer they made for the 27-year-old England defender last week from £15m to £18m.

"We have received an offer of £18m for Joleon and that offer has been rejected outright," read a statement on the Everton website.

Earlier this summer, Everton boss David Moyes said no player would leave the club without his approval.

The news of the offer was relayed to Moyes in Salt Lake City, where he was preparing his side for their friendly with the Major League Soccer All-Stars side, a game that Everton won 4-3 on penalties after the teams were level at 1-1 after normal time.

Everton skipper Phil Neville criticised city's pursuit of his team-mate.

"The club have turned down two offers and the manager is not prepared to sell him. Let's move on and let's look forward to the new season," said Neville.

"Will City get the message? The way they are going about their business, I don't think they will. There are ways and means of doing things - and Everton do it the right way."

City have signed Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tevez and Emmanuel Adebayor and are top heavy in attack, despite adding defender Kolo Toure to their squad.

They recently failed with a bid to sign Chelsea centre-back John Terry.

606: DEBATE

City had a £30m offer rejected recently by the Blues and Terry pledged his future to the London club last week.

It had been suggested that Everton would have been prepared to do business if City defender Nedum Onuoha was part of a new deal.

However, Onuoha signed a new five-year deal at Eastlands on Wednesday.

Lescott joined Everton for £5m from Wolves in 2006 and has been an integral part of Moyes' successful side, which finished fifth last season.

Moyes will also be reluctant to weaken his squad further in central defence, with Lescott's fellow England international Phil Jagielka not expected to return until November after knee surgery.



Print Sponsor


see also
Everton snub Man City Lescott bid
17 Jul 09 |  Everton
Lescott out for season
21 Nov 03 |  Wolves
Lescott commits future to Everton
12 Mar 08 |  Everton
England call up defender Lescott
03 Sep 07 |  Internationals
Lescott completes Everton switch
14 Jun 06 |  Everton



BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.