BBC Sport
Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help

---------------
---------------
CHOOSE A SPORT
 
RELATED BBC SITES
Last Updated: Wednesday, 26 November, 2003, 16:30 GMT
No way back for Ravanelli
Fabrizio Ravanelli
Fabrizio Ravanelli was axed by Dundee on Tuesday
Dundee administrator Tom Burton says there is no chance of Fabrizio Ravanelli playing for the club again, despite Giovanni di Stefano's offer to pay the Italian striker's wages.

Ravanelli, who only signed for Dundee in September, was one of 15 players sacked by the administrator on Tuesday in an attempt to keep the club afloat.

Di Stefano was responsible for bringing Ravanelli to Dundee and insisted there was no reason he should be released as the club were not responsible for paying him.

But Burton explained that in order to re-employ Ravanelli, Di Stefano would have to stump up the remainder of Ravanelli's original contract worth 260,000-a-year until 2005 and provide the administrator with the value of any new contract up front.

"Having had a brief conversation with Jim Duffy this morning, he and I both agree that if we had half a million pounds then we'd spend it on more than one player," added Burton

Ravanelli insisted on Tuesday that he would love to stay on and help the club out of its current predicament.

"If that's not possible I would like to remain in Scottish football because I believe it is a good competition," he said.

The former Juventus frontman admitted the news of Dundee's financial difficulties had come as a surprise to him.

I am very saddened especially for the players, for the club and the fans
Fabrizio Ravanelli
"When I joined Dundee I was told the club was healthy and last week a different story was revealed and the club has gone into administration.

"Considering I have one of the highest contracts I assumed that I would be one of the players leaving the club."

Burton admitted that offers for Dundee's remaining players, including Scotland internationals Gavin Rae and Lee Wilkie, would have to be considered for the club to remain open after the initial three-month period for which he has budgeted.

But he insists there is no truth in reports that Rangers have been offered Rae.

"Any transfer matters will first go through Jim Duffy because he's in control of team matters and I would suspect that any call about players would go to him first because he's the man with the contacts," he added.

"I have no interest in becoming involved in the football side of the club, I'm here to restructure things financially.

"Dundee has always been a selling club and I suspect that if the directors had still been in control they'd be looking to move players on in January anyway so in a sense nothing's changed."





SEE ALSO
Dundee sack 25 staff
25 Nov 03  |  Dundee



E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs

MMIX

Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability Sport | Other Sport | Olympics 2012

Scores & Fixtures | Have Your Say | TV/Radio Listings

Fun and Games | Question of Sport | Photo Galleries

Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport