Robinho's move to Chelsea appears to be in the balance
Real Madrid forward Robinho has reiterated his desire to leave the Spanish champions and join Chelsea before the end of the transfer window.
Chelsea have until midnight on Monday to sign the 24-year-old Brazilian, who has told a press conference that he is intent on moving to west London.
"The situation has not changed, I want to leave Real and play for Chelsea," said the striker.
"I am only thinking of Chelsea and want to play there."
Speaking to Radio 5 Live Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck admitted that negotiations are on-going but a deal is still far from being completed.
"We are hopeful it will be done before the end of the transfer window but I wouldn't say it's anything close to a done deal," he said.
"We feel the player wants to come to Chelsea - that's what he said, that's what his manager said - so it could be an interesting 36 hours."
Chelsea have made a great effort and I don't know what more I can do
However, Real have reacted angrily to Robinho's comments and attacked Chelsea's public pursuit of the player.
"The club refers to an earlier statement on this matter, when it said if the player's final decision was to unilaterally rescind his contract, we would have no option but to accept it," Real said on their website.
"Real deplore the way Chelsea's directors have acted despite knowing perfectly well the decision not to sell the player, making statements and even going so far as to sell shirts with the player's name on through their official website."
The club had put the move in doubt by declaring Robinho is under contract to them for two more seasons, denying reports that he was close to signing for Chelsea in a £28m deal.
"The coach and the sports director want the player to stay and I am sure he will. Our squad is complete," Real president Ramon Calderon said on Thursday.
However, Robinho himself is clearly intent on pushing through a move to Stamford Bridge by insisting he is unhappy at the club.
"Since May I have been trying to renew my contract but they didn't want to know because they were so sure of signing Cristiano Ronaldo. Now they haven't signed anyone they don't want me to go," he added.
"Calderon had said that if a good offer came they would let me go. Chelsea have made a great effort and I don't know what more I can do.
"I have told the president, the sports director and the coach I want to go. I won't refuse to play for Real if I stay. But if (Real coach Bernd) Schuster wants to keep a player who is unhappy it is his responsibility."
Real sporting director Predrag Mijatovic echoed Calderon's comments, saying: "Robinho has two years left on his contract.
"Therefore he is our player for the next two seasons, so you can draw your own conclusions from that."
The sticking point appears to be that Real have been unable to secure a replacement for Robinho.
Real had targeted Villareal's Spain international Santi Carzola or Valencia's David Villa after missing out on Ronaldo, but both have recently signed new contracts with their clubs.
Real's comments are in stark contrast to Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon's statement on Wednesday, when he told BBC London 94.9: "Everybody expected negotiations to go close to the wire and that's what it will do but we're confident it will happen.
"There are no hitches, it's just a lengthy process."
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.