BBC Sport football

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 08:40 GMT, Monday, 28 July 2008 09:40 UK

Scolari sets sights on quadruple

Luiz Felipe Scolari
Scolari succeeded Avram Grant as Chelsea boss this summer

Luiz Felipe Scolari believes Chelsea can win the quadruple in his first season as manager at Stamford Bridge.

The Brazilian, 59, said his squad is strong enough to challenge for the Premier League, the FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League.

"We have four competitions this season and I'll try to win all four," he said.

"It will be very difficult but we have the team for it, we have the players for it. Chelsea have also given me everything I have wanted."

Chelsea failed to win a trophy last season after losing in the Carling Cup and Champions League finals and finishing second to Manchester United in the Premier League.

The former Portugal coach, who succeeded Avram Grant as Chelsea boss this summer, added: "I try and give confidence to my players. They sometimes make mistakes but I tell them that this is normal as long as they train hard. If they do their best the rest is my problem."

606: DEBATE
HD
Chelsea have been prolific at the start of their pre-season tour of Asia, beating Guangzhou Pharmaceutical 4-0 last week, while on Saturday they secured an emphatic 7-0 win over Chengdu Blades.

And Scolari said the tour had helped him decide on the majority of the starting XI for Chelsea's first game of the Premier League season against Portsmouth on 17 August.

"I know who my key players are," confirmed Scolari ahead of Tuesday's match against a Malaysian League Select XI - the third and final game of the Far East leg of Chelsea's tour.

"I have had 15 days with them and I know who is important for us to play more games than other players."

He stated: "You need to build a team around a few players in essential positions for important games and I now know who they are.

"I have in my mind one idea for the team to play against Portsmouth but until then I want to see how the players train.

"I have a minimum of 75% of the team in my mind but I need to know the other 25%."

It's down to myself to drive this team forward again and push to get to where we were last season and further

Chelsea captain John Terry

After Tuesday's friendly, Chelsea will head to the Luzhniki Stadium, the venue of last season's Champions League final defeat by Manchester United, for a match against Lokomotiv Moscow.

Blues captain John Terry, who missed what would have been the winning kick in the penalty shoot-out defeat at the hands of United, conceded that returning to the Russian capital would be "weird" but said he was ready to concentrate on the forthcoming season.

The defender said: "We have made some great signings. With players like Deco and Jose Bosingwa coming to the club, there's no point me thinking, 'Oh, I could have won the Champions League that year' when I'm 35 or 40. I still have some great years ahead of me.

"With the manager we have, I have still got a great possibility of winning it.

"It's down to myself to drive this team forward again and push to get to where we were last season and further.

"We showed great strength of character with all the disappointments we had last season, with the changes in manager. We showed what a great team we are.

"Now we have a manager who can lead the team as well."


see also
Inter continue chase for Lampard
26 Jul 08 |  Chelsea


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites