Mourinho is hoping to be back in management before next season
Jose Mourinho has denied holding talks with Inter Milan over becoming the Serie A leaders' coach next season.
The former Chelsea boss, 44, issued a statement contradicting his own spokesman, who said he had met Inter president Massimo Moratti for talks.
"I say categorically it is not true that I went to Milan, that I met with Massimo Moratti," said Mourinho.
"It is just false to say that I am on the point of signing a contract with Inter Milan."
Mourinho was responding to comments made by his personal advisor, Eladio Parames, who claimed the Portuguese and his agent had travelled to Milan.
"It's true they are in Italy and will return to Lisbon on Saturday," Parames said on Friday.
"Of course, it was Inter who contacted Mourinho and his agent, not Mourinho contacting them.
"He (Mourinho) has always showed interest in working in Italy, and he received the contact with pleasure."
Inter coach Roberto Mancini, whose contract runs until 2012, announced on 11 March he would be stepping down from the job he has held for four years after his side were knocked out of the Champions League by Liverpool.
However, the 43-year-old quickly backtracked and stated his desire to stay with the Italian champions.
"We have tranquillity despite all these things people are saying, all these rumours that can be annoying," said Mancini after Inter drew 1-1 with Lazio in Rome on Saturday to keep them four points ahead of Roma.
"They don't annoy me at all, I'm not interested. My only aim is to do well in the next two weeks and to tryto rediscover our shine, recover players and our physical condition."
Mourinho, who lifted the Champions League with Porto before guiding Chelsea to two Premiership titles and an FA Cup, has been linked with a host of European clubs since he left Chelsea in September last year.