Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 25 February 2007, 16:30 GMT
Terry recovers after head injury
John Terry is carried away on a stretcher
Terry was helped to breathe as he was carried away
England captain John Terry was checked over but then discharged from hospital on Sunday after receiving a sickening blow to the head.

Terry was accidentally kicked in the face by Arsenal's Abou Diaby during the Carling Cup final which the Blues won 2-1 at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

He lost consciousness and was carried from the field by stretcher, then taken to the University Hospital of Wales.

But by 1800 GMT he was back at the stadium and able to celebrate the win.

"John risked himself and the Arsenal player was trying to protect his goal," said Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho. "I have no criticism about that."

When the incident happened thoughts returned to the two serious head injuries suffered by goalkeepers Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini in one match earlier this season, away to Reading.

John's wife, his little babies are here, so the most important thing is that the man is safe

Jose Mourinho

"Sometimes in football, dramatic things happen," added Mourinho.

"This season we have already had the situations with Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini and the negative thoughts come directly to your mind.

"The first point is 'Is he safe? Is the man fine?'

"John's wife, his little babies are here, so the most important thing is that the man is safe. Once we know he is okay, then we can think about the football."

Cech is still playing with a protective cap - a legacy of the injury he suffered at Reading - and the goalkeeper admitted Terry's injury brought it all back.

"I think it's one of the worst moments I have experienced on the pitch because I can't remember my injury," Cech said.

"But you saw the reaction of the players. For the first three or four minutes after the injury, I had other emotions. I hope he will be all right."


The England captain had only just recovered from damaged ankle ligaments, which he suffered in the Champions League tie at Porto, to play in the final.

He was carried off seven minutes into that game but recovered quicker than medical staff expected.

Yet soon after the start of the second half against Arsenal Terry suffered the horrible injury which left him unconscious and with blood on his face.

Fans of both teams at the Millennium Stadium, who had been hushed as Terry was put into a neck brace, applauded the England skipper from the field.

"I was with the fourth official, who was in direct communication with (referee) Howard Webb, so I knew everything," said Mourinho.

"The Arsenal medical department was already there because they had been treating an injury close to the situation, so by the time our people got there, everything was under control."

England manager Steve McClaren was at the stadium and would have been as relieved as Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to see Terry up and about afterwards.

Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal
25 Feb 07 |  League Cup
Reading 0-1 Chelsea
14 Oct 06 |  Premiership
Keeper Cech has surgery on skull
15 Oct 06 |  Chelsea
Cech 'conscious' after operation
17 Oct 06 |  Chelsea
Cech returns home from hospital
24 Oct 06 |  Chelsea


Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us