Chelsea have completed a deal with Porto to sign central defender Ricardo Carvalho for a £19.85m.
Carvalho had an outstanding Euro 2004 for Portugal
The 26-year-old was at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday and passed a medical before thrashing out personal terms.
Carvalho has signed a three-year deal and will fly out with chief executive Peter Kenyon to join his new team-mates on their US tour on Wednesday.
"We are delighted Ricardo has signed for us as he was being chased by top clubs all over Europe," said Kenyon.
Kenyon added on the club's website: "He proved during Euro 2004 and in the past two seasons with Porto that he is one of the top centre-backs in the game."
And Kenyon reckons the club will not be making any more signings this summer.
"We are not expecting to make any more signings," he said.
"There have been a lot of changes, but now we have got the 24 together who we
think will stand us in good stead for next season."
Jose Mourinho said: "Ricardo Carvalho is a player that fits our profile. We have now filled the last opening at centre-back and we now arrive with four excellent players in this position."
The Blues also have skipper John Terry, William Gallas and Robert Huth available to play in the centre of defence.
1997: Joins Leca and stays for two season before joining Porto
2001: After loan spells at Vitoria Setubal and Alverca breaks into Porto first team
2003: Now a key figure at Porto, helps them win Uefa Cup
2003: Makes international debut in win over Albania
2004: Inspirational as Porto win Champions League
2004: Superb as Portugal reach final of Euro 2004
Chelsea had been looking to strengthen their defence since the exit of Marcel Desailly, who had his contract cancelled by mutual consent.
Carvalho joins coach Mourinho and full-back Paulo Ferreira in moving from Porto to Stamford Bridge over the summer months.
The transfer takes Chelsea's summer spending £89m, with Didier Drogba, Mateja Kezman, Tiago, Arjen Robben and Petr Cech also arriving at the club.
Carvalho, who had stated he wanted to leave Porto, had also been linked with a switch to Real Madrid.
The Spanish giants offered a reported £7m for him, a bid that fell a long way short of Porto's £20m asking price.
Since beating Monaco 3-0 in the Champions League final, Porto have not only lost Mourinho, Ferreira and Carvalho, but influential playmaker Deco has joined Barcelona.
Carvalho enjoyed an outstanding Euro 2004 after replacing skipper Fernando Couto in the heart of Portugal's defence after the opening game defeat against Greece.