Charlton have confirmed that Les Reed has been appointed head coach on a permanent basis, with Mark Robson named as his assistant.
Reed worked under Iain Dowie as his assistant
Reed was number two to previous boss Iain Dowie, while Robson steps up from his role as development coach.
Charlton chief executive Peter Varney said: "We are probably looking for a third person to come in and help them."
Plc chairman Richard Murray earlier said manager Dowie was sacked after a review of the club's structure.
Murray said: "We had to consider if we believed our current situation would improve and we reluctantly came to the conclusion that it would not.
"It is vital everyone works as a team in this situation. Unfortunately, I have to say that hasn't been the case."
Dowie, 41, left Crystal Palace in May to replace Alan Curbishley - who spent 15 years as coach at The Valley.
But Dowie won only two league games during his brief reign and Saturday's 3-2 loss at Wigan leaves Charlton at the bottom of the table with only eight points.
Varney would not comment on newspaper reports that Dowie's spell in charge had been blighted by player unrest.
But he added: "Iain was a popular character at the club and we're sad and disappointed. He didn't take the news very well but you wouldn't expect him to.
"But we had to take the personal from the business. We had to stand back and take a tough decision. Now we have got to pull together."
Derby's Billy Davies, Cardiff's Dave Jones and ex-England coach Glenn Hoddle had all been linked to the Addicks but it appears the club are looking to Reed and Robson to turn around their season.
Former boss Curbishley had already ruled himself out of a return to The Valley.
"I left Charlton for a new challenge," he said. "Going back would not be good for me or for the club."
Dowie, who is the first Premiership manager to lose his job this season, spent almost £10m on new players, including striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
Murray continued in his statement: "One of the key features of our club during my time as chairman has been stability. It is something I feel is essential in all successful businesses.
We have been left with little option but to act in the manner we have
Charlton chairman Richard Murray
"It goes without saying, therefore, how hard it was after only 12 Premiership matches to reach the decision we have.
"Over the past two weeks we have conducted a review of the structure we put in place during the summer, which involved all senior football management staff.
"The results of this review have, we believe, left us with little option but to act in the manner we have.
"By committing some £11.2m on new players in the summer we believe we demonstrated our support for Iain Dowie, as we have also done by backing him with the malicious legal action initiated against him by Simon Jordan."
Jordan is taking Dowie to court over his controversial summer move to Charlton but the Palace chairman offered a surprising vote of confidence.
"Despite my personal differences with Iain, on a professional level, at times, Iain was quite inspirational," Jordan told BBC Five Live.
"I think parting company with someone after 12 games is very early and is not what support is about.
"I think Charlton have not really given him a chance."